A Magnificent Irishman from Appalachia: The Letters of Lt. James Gildea, First Ohio Light Artillery, Battery L Pg. 64-65.
We came behind them and taking fire arrived on the file in the rear of Little Round Top. Could not find the Chief, Capt. Martin, to direct us where to go.
Captain Gibbs told me to accompany him and we rode out in front where we found Genl. Sykes with about 1200 regulars. As we rode up to the General, Captain Gibbs requested to know where he was wanted as he could not find the Chief. Syke looked around for a moment, replied, "Captain choose your own position to cover this front. I leave it to yourself'. As we turned, Gibbs said, "James, you place the left on the side of that slope, I will place the right here and you take the center. Place them about fifty yards in the rear and do not fire a shot until we are all captured".
After showing Guthrie his location and going to my own, I found the ground covered with scrub and brush which I directed them men to cut down so as to give a clear view to the front. While engaged in this, Corpl. John W. Craig said, "Lieutenant, what troops are those coming up behind us"? As there was considerable smoke and haze in the air, I could not see very clear and as the road was sunken so that nothing was to be seen but their guns and flag, which was furled up, I mistook it for an Irish Flag and I replied that it must be the 9th Mass., Col. Cass's old command, I did not look further but the head of the column swung around us and came on the regulars who did not see them until they received a volley which sent the remainder of them up to my section where they formed a support.
This was Wilcox's Division, who having driven the 3rd Corps back to the Baltimore Road, were try to find their way back to their own lines and having opened a passage through the regulars now swing out in front and not more than 70 or 80 feet from the front of our four advanced guns.
Seeing how things were, I directed my men to carry canister to the left section as the rapid fire now going on would soon exhaust the supply in the limbers, the caissons not being yet up.
As soon as our boys opened double shot canister (54, 4 oz. ball) the rebs dropped on their face behind the rocks which were here in plenty and never raised until driven out by the charge of the 9th Penna. Reserves, Col. Fisher, Commdg. When Fisher passed my guns, he became a little excited for fear that the rebs would get our front guns before he arrived, so his men fired one volley through our men by which 2 of our men, Harri'son Massie and Asa Kline were wounded. Lieutenant Guthrie yelled to him to charge or cease firing, so he advanced and drove the rebs out of their holes which ended the fight there.
When Fisher charged, I looked back for the first time and found 6 lines of battle in the rear of my guns The Sixth Corps had arrived and Genl. Sedgwich was standing between the two' guns. When I saluted him he remarked that we had got work and done splendid by holding the ground against such a force. An opinion which our Corps Commander. Genl. Sykes, corroborated that night by sending for Gibbs and told him he should have the credit of saving that Part of the line in his official report. Our General did not allow an Army correspondent in this Corps. He wanted only a wax officer record.
We could only use the 3 guns as one of the right sections could not be fired on account of the rocks around it caused hot recoil and jumped straight up, but we fired 90 rounds of canister in that little fight and although under fire of shot and shell and bullet, all the next day we took no active part but lay there to meet a charge which we never received after that.