Lee Maybe It Comes Down to This!

It's a curious intellectual construct that unless one fights to keep fellow Virgnians enslaved then one is a traitor.
Indeed it is. Unless we think, who were considered "fellow Virginians" and who were not at that time and in that society. Then it becomes pretty self-explanatory.
There was never a war, that started with an unjust reason (c)

Indeed it is. Unless we think, who were considered "fellow Virginians" and who were not at that time and in that society. Then it becomes pretty self-explanatory.
There was never a war, that started with an unjust reason (c)
Would it not be more accurate to say that Lee simply was simply fighting to protect the institution of slavery? It's not a question of being " loyal to one's state" it just a matter of not being willing to fight against one's fellow slave owners.
Also you have not answered the question were Unionist and black Virginians betray Virginia by fighting for the Union? Not that one is obligated to answer it.
Leftyhunter

Would it not be more accurate to say that Lee simply was simply fighting to protect the institution of slavery? It's not a question of being " loyal to one's state" it just a matter of not being willing to fight against one's fellow slave owners.
Maybe. Maybe not. You've surely made up your mind on the matter.
I didn't - I'm not convinced that every Virginian was acknowledging himself as a "champion of slavery cause" when joining the CS military. Surely, the propaganda gave him a lot of good and justified reasons to fight against the Union. Like it was in every war in every century.

Also you have not answered the question were Unionist and black Virginians betray Virginia by fighting for the Union? Not that one is obligated to answer it.
I thought this is obvious. If they would consider it betrayal, they wouldn't fight for the Union. So no, they didn't and they weren't in their own eyes (and that's what matters when we're discussing motivations).

Back