M1861 Cutlass

Joined
Mar 21, 2016
Location
Northern Virginia
In 2017 I wrote an article on the M1861 cutlass which was published in "Man-at-Arms" magazine. Since then, considerable new information has come to light, especially that regarding late-date cutlasses and the cutlasses used by the Revenue Cutter Service. With Stuart Mowbray's permission, Mark Cloke has posted an up-dated and corrected version of my 2017 article on his "Old Swords" site. (Thanks to Jerry Roxbury and Charlie Pate for inputs.) If you are interested in M1861 cutlasses, I hope you visit the site and provide me feedback on any corrections and/or new information you might have. The link: https://oldswords.com/images/1861.pdf
 
Great informative article. Thanks for posting.
 
Thank you for that extremely informative article. I didn't know too much about the Ames cutlass, so never paid much attention to them. With my new knowledge, I think I'll go look for one now!

I'm assuming the term "jacked" is derived from the British term JackTar. Brit sailors were refered to as Jacks, and of course used Tar on everything during the 19th century. Looking at the available cutlass's so far, all are "jacked". And I found one NJ.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top