Looking for ACW reference books

Keiri

Sergeant
Hi there. I have several reference books that contain reference information - such as deaths in the veteran homes, court martials, congressional districts, etc. I'm looking for any more titles of reference you find to be useful or good - or even interesting, as I'm putting together a reference library for myself.

I *love* lists of soldiers. Anything like that is bonus.

If you want rosters, go search Google Books for Adjuntant General's Reports that were published after the war. I find a lot of the for northern states---I don't recall if many of Southern states have them. Some Reports tell the story of that state as it organized & armed their troops. Some have unit histories and others have complete rosters by company.
For large states, it will break up into 3 or 4 volumes. Download as PDF and burn to DVD.

If you are interested in Mississippi regiments then this book is a MUST HAVE. It has a good unit history but only lists names of Officers.

"Military History of Mississippi; 1803-1898” by Dunbar Rowland. New edition with supplement by H. Grady Howell, Jr. Chickasaw Bayou Press, 2003.

You can get the original version or the 2003 version released by Howell. His version has a large index added that is almost as thick as the original part.
Most of the unit histories of Mississippi regiments you find on the Internet are copies from Rowland's book.

Many states and counties have published books on those who served in the War.

38cb6***95f2e781bc7b2d770f488a5d.jpg

Roster-Card_0.jpg

Back