NF Lincoln's Planner

Non-Fiction

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
To All,

Bought a book the other day called, Lincoln's Planner: A Unique Look at the Civil War Through the Pesident's Daily Activities, by Lamont Wood.

From the book's back cover:

Manipulative Cabinet members, opportunistic hack congressmen, a people yearning for freedom--does this sound familiar?

"But we are not talking about present-day; rather, these were some of the same issues facing Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln's Planner follows our sixteenth president through the Civil War, showing what he did and wrote each day, as reflected in surviving records. You will experience the bombshell events much as Lincoln did, day by day rather than through story-line narratives often laid out in history books."

The book makes for an interesting read. For instance I discovered this:

(1862) February 19, Wednesday

* AL (Abraham Lincoln) signs proclamation suggesting that the people celebrate Washington's Birthday (February 22) by listening to readings of his "Farewell Address."

* AL signs legislation prohibiting the so-called "coolie trade" (importing Asians under-slave like conditions).

The above "coolie trade" legislation was a new one for me and I intend to do a bit more research on it.

Anyway, thought you all might be interested.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

That should be an interesting window into not only Lincoln's day to day dealings, but also the other things facing the country at the time. Of course the war was the big story, but there were other things Lincoln had to deal with. Thanks for this UB!

Back