Leather Canteen Strap:

History36

Private
Joined
Jul 5, 2016
Hello all,

Just curious to ask, if I may please:

- For the leather CW canteen straps, were they used by Union officers towards the end of the war (1864-1865)? I realize that they were used in early war, but how about late war? I'm particularly interested in the race to Appomattox / campaigner timeframe,
- If so, what color, such as black, russet brown, etc.?
- And lastly, any good suppliers that you would recommend?

My impression is as follows: Federal officer, late war, wearing a worn field jacket / sack coat, well-broken in, with dusty slouch hat and boots, etc. Basically, it's a look as if in pursuit of Lee leading up to Appomattox, Va. With that being said, I realize that if officers were on horseback, they would have a shorter leather strap for the canteen looped within the saddle. However, just to double-check, for Federal officers for my particular impression - would they still have had leather canteen straps if on foot?

Thank you for your time and info.
 
Hello all,

Just curious to ask, if I may please:

- For the leather CW canteen straps, were they used by Union officers towards the end of the war (1864-1865)? I realize that they were used in early war, but how about late war? I'm particularly interested in the race to Appomattox / campaigner timeframe,
- If so, what color, such as black, russet brown, etc.?
- And lastly, any good suppliers that you would recommend?

My impression is as follows: Federal officer, late war, wearing a worn field jacket / sack coat, well-broken in, with dusty slouch hat and boots, etc. Basically, it's a look as if in pursuit of Lee leading up to Appomattox, Va. With that being said, I realize that if officers were on horseback, they would have a shorter leather strap for the canteen looped within the saddle. However, just to double-check, for Federal officers for my particular impression - would they still have had leather canteen straps if on foot?

Thank you for your time and info.
I have a few identified late war officer canteens and the only one of note that is different than the normally issued enlisted version is a rubberized strap on a bullseye canteen. I would go with a bullseye and whatever strap makes you happy.
 
Thank you for the replies & info - much appreciated, 👍. I went with a russet shade of color & I'll darken it up some to help give it a lived-in / aged antique look. Plus, the more I use it; the better it'll look in the long-run.

Thank you again for the replies!
 
Last edited:

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top