Impressions Lady Impression at Olustee

Shannon Wolf

Corporal
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this. So this past weekend I finally got to my first event since 2004. (Olustee both times)Ya'll everything that could go sideways went sideways in some way, but I still had so much fun.

So I was last minute trying to finish my dress, it was super late Thursday, I find using a rotary cutter easier to cut fussy patterns, so I am cutting the pattern when I hear a "pop", see sparks, and feel a tingling in my hand. I ran over the cord to the iron with my rotary cutter. At this point I gave up and said I wasn't going. My sister, bless her, told me to go and find a dress there, if not then I can say I at least tried.
So I roll in Friday around noon, a friend helped me find the civilian Town of Olustee to set up camp, met an amazing lady named Cathy who took me under her wing like the lost lamb I was. I had bought a 6 x 6 wedge tent from Blockade Runner. I had considered buying a tarp for under the sodcloth and the ground cloth and didn't. Bad idea lol Also that tent is way smaller than I realised.
Off I go to find some dresses. That's when I discovered no one had dresses in my size, at least the ones that were open. I was like ok, we'll try again in the morning. Apparently there were not as many venders this year.
Spent a lovely evening meeting new people. Made the error of wearing my brand new shoes (huge nasty blister) Then came bed time. That's when I discovered that my old cpap battery had to have a special adapter (now ordered) to work my new cpap. So I tried to sleep with out till I could come home and grab the old one in the morning and come back (Olustee is roughly 40 minutes from home). Ladies I wasn't prepared enough for the weather. Though even the prepared ones said it was bad. It dropped to 35° overnight. So at 6 am I am moving as fast as I can to my truck to turn on the heat and get what I needed.
I did find 2 dresses at Southern Family Impressions. They are probably not completely correct but they will do till I fix the iron and finish mine. I also am looking for a hoop for fluffy people. From that point everything was awesome. The ladies tea had a lovely speaker talk about Clara Barton, I got to watch the battle Sunday and have lots of pictures. I can't wait to do more events and work on my impression. I learned a whole lot this weekend. I knew there would be things I missed, things that would need to be improved on.

received_1160750417604611.jpeg

Well rats...It's a shame you two didn't know that each other would be there. That woulda been a great CWT story.

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe next year. I think both of these ladies are hooked on Olustee.

And @Shannon Wolf , you look quite lovely. That demure smile is spot on for the 19th century.

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe next year. I think both of these ladies are hooked on Olustee.

And @Shannon Wolf , you look quite lovely. That demure smile is spot on for the 19th century.

Thank you! I was trying to find headware but couldn't find anything I really loved. I'm looking at the events coming and deciding where I want to go.

I am actually at Kingsley Plantation now hand ginning cotton for the event next Saturday. Emily will be doing spinning demonstrations and needs the fluff ginned and carded. Shelly I believe will be working the loom.

20200217_134221.jpg

20200217_145227.jpg

20200217_145408.jpg

20200217_133416.jpg

It's from October 9-11. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/2020-antietam-fall-muster-announced-october-9th-11th.166249/

The weekend after the muster, October 17-18, there's a reenactment at Cedar Creek in the Shenandoah Valley. It's not too far from Antietam. If I make it to the muster - which is pretty likely - I'll be at Cedar Creek too. :smile:

I just looked it's 12 hours from me 😭😭 maybe someday. I also got asked by some CSA boys to attend Andersonville which I think they said was in Oct. Trying to figure out these schedules is like walking in the dark without a map.

I drove the 12 hours straight thru down and back from Fairfax, Virginia to participate in Olustee. Had the honor of serving with Captain Drew and his Company K, of the 28th Georgia Infantry. Saw Luinrina and Equestriangirl(?) in camp on Friday and Saturday. The drive isn't that bad, but of course it depends on the type of vehicle you're cruising in. One year I came down in my Jeep Wrangler (never again!), this year I cruised in my Cadillac DTS and that was near painless.

I drove the 12 hours straight thru down and back from Fairfax, Virginia to participate in Olustee. Had the honor of serving with Captain Drew and his Company K, of the 28th Georgia Infantry. Saw Luinrina and Equestriangirl(?) in camp on Friday and Saturday. The drive isn't that bad, but of course it depends on the type of vehicle you're cruising in. One year I came down in my Jeep Wrangler (never again!), this year I cruised in my Cadillac DTS and that was near painless.
I drive a Silverado when I'm hauling stuff. My everyday car is a Sonic manual shift lol. I just don't like making super long drives alone until I have my conceal and carry. I'ld feel better if Lucy could be up front with me instead of locked in the trunk.

I drive a Silverado when I'm hauling stuff. My everyday car is a Sonic manual shift lol. I just don't like making super long drives alone until I have my conceal and carry. I'ld feel better if Lucy could be up front with me instead of locked in the trunk.
I wanted to say that the dress is lovely. I am partial to purple. Maybe do a white day cap(folded hankie works wonders for this) and trim it out with some lilac ribbon and flowers? Or you could do a pleated ribbon with flowers on it. I discovered the pins go through the pleats nicely and then it’s on your head to stay!

I wanted to say that the dress is lovely. I am partial to purple. Maybe do a white day cap(folded hankie works wonders for this) and trim it out with some lilac ribbon and flowers? Or you could do a pleated ribbon with flowers on it. I discovered the pins go through the pleats nicely and then it’s on your head to stay!
I just ordered some period appropriate netting for my hair, and have been look at the little white caps to make. I almost bought a bonnet at dirty billies but the $140 price tag. I just couldn't justify it.

Back