Knots Used by Sailors

Oh, wow. I don't know, but there were dozens, all used for specific needs and circumstances. Some were minor variations on each other and some were very different. If you google images for sailors knots, you can see what I mean... "Learning the ropes" had a very direct and literal meaning in training a sailor!
 
Oh, wow. I don't know, but there were dozens, all used for specific needs and circumstances. Some were minor variations on each other and some were very different. If you google images for sailors knots, you can see what I mean... "Learning the ropes" had a very direct and literal meaning in training a sailor!
Yea, and we in Navy Boot Camp had to learn them all. It was called "Marlinspike Seamanship". As far as the Navy was concerned, we were still on sailing ships.
 
Yea, and we in Navy Boot Camp had to learn them all. It was called "Marlinspike Seamanship". As far as the Navy was concerned, we were still on sailing ships.

Thanks Adam1stVa - now that I know what knot tying is called, I've been able to look it up.
 
Thanks Adam1stVa - now that I know what knot tying is called, I've been able to look it up.
FYI - A "Marlinspike" is a wooden tool that is tapered to a point (not sharp) that was used to dig apart tight knots and reshape them. It is also called a "Fid". It was usually made from a very hard wood with a tight grain, like Maple. It was teamed up with a leather palm pad that helped push it. These tools were different sizes and often custom made by a dedicated "Boatswain" (pronounced "Bos'n") who was tasked with attending to the rope needs aboard ship.
 
FYI - A "Marlinspike" is a wooden tool that is tapered to a point (not sharp) that was used to dig apart tight knots and reshape them. It is also called a "Fid". It was usually made from a very hard wood with a tight grain, like Maple. It was teamed up with a leather palm pad that helped push it. These tools were different sizes and often custom made by a dedicated "Boatswain" (pronounced "Bos'n") who was tasked with attending to the rope needs aboard ship.
It occurs to me that the original use of an actual Marlin's Spike probably gave rise to its name.
 
As a young sea cadet I had to learn a lot of knots, I'm older now and I can only remember one knot in particular, it was called a round turn two and a two and a half hitches, of course there was also the reef knot which anyone can do but I do recall seeing a naval diagram with a lot of knots that we were supposed to learn, I remember seeing at least 20 different knots which were at one time regularly used world wide.
 
The life we lived is unlike that of any ground pounder.

1963-1988
SR to QM2; Ensign to LCDR

Taluga (AO-62), USS Peoria (LST-1183), USS John R. Craig (DD-885), USS Okinawa (LPH-3), plus staffs, in-country, schools, etc. I'd still be going to sea if they let old men sail.
Thank you for your service!
 
When I was a teacher in my boilermakers union apprenticeship program I taught the apprenti various knots and hitches used in the trade. I had an apprentice that had been in the Navy and asked him to demonstrate some knots and to my surprise he knew none.

When I asked him how it was a sailor didn't know knots he said he was on a submarine. He jokingly said he wasn't a sailor, he was military personnel. But he was kidding on the square.
 
When I was a teacher in my boilermakers union apprenticeship program I taught the apprenti various knots and hitches used in the trade. I had an apprentice that had been in the Navy and asked him to demonstrate some knots and to my surprise he knew none.

When I asked him how it was a sailor didn't know knots he said he was on a submarine. He jokingly said he wasn't a sailor, he was military personnel. But he was kidding on the square.
I always had people wondering how I, as a Radarman, was able to spend 4 years in and not go to sea. Luck of the Draw! I almost failed the swimming test because I'm not buoyant at all - couldn't float! Had to go to Dummy Swimmers Class to learn to float. The best I could do was barely keep my face out of the water for any length of time. So I was happy being on land.
 
I had no use for knots either, except for the square knot we had to use in boot camp to tie our wet clothes on the line with "clothes stops."
RM2, USS Greenlet (ASR-10) and Comsubpac Com Center, Pearl Harbor --1968-71.
 
I had no use for knots either, except for the square knot we had to use in boot camp to tie our wet clothes on the line with "clothes stops."
RM2, USS Greenlet (ASR-10) and Comsubpac Com Center, Pearl Harbor --1968-71.
Ah, I remember it well, the frozen boards we brought in off the line tied with clothes stops. That was Fall to Winter '66 at Great Lakes.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top