Knickerbocker Glory Sundae

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Not knowing where exactly to put this as it's not period in the sense that it's from the mid-19th century or before, but given this variety of ice cream sundae first became popular in the 1920's , so I decided to mark it 'history'. As for what kind of sundae it is, well it's a popular British dessert treat that's served in a very tall sundae glass in clear layers of ice cream, fruit and sometimes even meringue topped with whipped cream and a cherry and typically accompanied with a fan shaped wafer. Thing a trifle but with ice cream instead of cake! It was often a treat served at popular seaside resorts and amusement parks and the original recipe and the exact reason for it's decidedly American sounding name is unknown. Given a Knickerbocker is an old term used to refer to New Yorkers and the sundae is from across the pond seems unusual, but it's a fun name for an ice cream dessert and looks very yummy! I happened upon the term while watching an episode of Call of the Midwife over the weekend and had to find out what they were talking about.

Here's an original recipe from the Practical Druggist & Pharmaceutical Review - 1896

Screen-Shot-2016-02-29-at-8.03.38-PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 153668

Not knowing where exactly to put this as it's not period in the sense that it's from the mid-19th century or before, but given this variety of ice cream sundae first became popular in the 1920's , so I decided to mark it 'history'. As for what kind of sundae it is, well it's a popular British dessert treat that's served in a very tall sundae glass in clear layers of ice cream, fruit and sometimes even meringue topped with whipped cream and a cherry and typically accompanied with a fan shaped wafer. Thing a trifle but with ice cream instead of cake! It was often a treat served at popular seaside resorts and amusement parks and the original recipe and the exact reason for it's decidedly American sounding name is unknown. Given a Knickerbocker is an old term used to refer to New Yorkers and the sundae is from across the pond seems unusual, but it's a fun name for an ice cream dessert and looks very yummy! I happened upon the term while watching an episode of Call of the Midwife over the weekend and had to find out what they were talking about.

Here's an original recipe from the Practical Druggist & Pharmaceutical Review - 1896

View attachment 153669
Major yummy.

View attachment 153668

View attachment 153669
When I saw the title I thought you found some old Knickerbocker Beer and made a sundae.

Since it is Sundae Day, thought bring up this delightful sundae recipe from Anna Elizabeth Henry. She is another Forum member missed. It has been over a year since she posted. I do hope she is well and maybe will return one of theses days.

Back