NF Johnston's Narrative

Non-Fiction

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
My retired father has a small office in my business's office suites. When I got to work yesterday morning,he gave me something that he said he bought at an auction years ago. I didn't even think to ask him what he paid for it. I wasn't sure what it was exactly.

2019-05-14 16.46.42.jpg

2019-05-14 16.46.53.jpg

2019-05-14 16.48.31.jpg

2019-05-14 16.49.23.jpg

Sorry about the monster pictures. Took them with my cellphone camera. Didn't realize they were so big.

Bobby, do not let go of what your father bought and shared with you.

Trust me on this.
Oh I'm not. No plans to sell it or anything like that. Not really sure what I have. As you can see from the pics I have posted,it doesn't look the same as the other 3 I have found online.

Oh I'm not. No plans to sell it or anything like that. Not really sure what I have. As you can see from the pics I have posted,it doesn't look the same as the other 3 I have found online.

Bobby, I'm not CWT's bibliophile, but I really think what you've got may be an original edition of General Johnston's memoir, in pretty good condition. Hold that sucker tight until you're sure....

(Father's Day is coming, give him a special hug...)

Think I'm gonna pick up a modern reprint and read it. The book my father gave me doesn't need to be handled much.
What I like to do with all of my signed first edition books are to replace them with a reader's copy. I store my valuable books in a safe deposit box located inside of a safe. David.

What I like to do with all of my signed first edition books are to replace them with a reader's copy. I store my valuable books in a safe deposit box located inside of a safe. David.
I think I'm gonna show it to my friends at the Houston Civil War Round Table tomorrow night,then wrap it in cellophane and put it in my safe deposit box.

I think I'm gonna show it to my friends at the Houston Civil War Round Table tomorrow night,then wrap it in cellophane and put it in my safe deposit box.
I would not allow people to handle the book. Acid or other substances on one's hands can cause damage to the fragile pages. David.

Bobby, my Dad left me an original edition of J. Fenimore Cooper's History of the U.S. Navy, published before the Civil War. A dear family friend also left me a leather-bound copy of Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America, from the same era.

These are four volumes I don't dare touch, let alone pass around. If you Google, "archivist" in your area, you should find someone who can guide you in preserving General Johnston's work. There's lots of colleges in you neighborhood, after all. Someone will know.

These are four volumes I don't dare touch, let alone pass around
I wasn't gonna pass it around the room. It is a bit fragile. I've owned some other rare books,not Civil War related,for about 15 years that are valued at 4-figure $$$ sums.

Think I'm gonna pick up a modern reprint and read it. The book my father gave me doesn't need to be handled much.
I am speaking from John C. Pemberton's perspective, of course. Seriously, it probably is a very valuable book. I love how those old books smell. Old books are the best unless the spine is weak.

Back