John M. Nixon - CSN Paymaster

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
I wasn't sure the best place to post this topic. I decided it should go with the Naval history even though it does not involve a naval battle or any one in combat. I know little about the CS Navy nor the duties of a Paymaster. I found this interesting because of how his story weaves into the history of the Vicksburg campaign and the CSS ARKANSAS. I searched for this officer's name to see if anyone had posted anything on him.
So this thread it intended to generate some discussion about this officer and his service. I know there are several guys who are interested in any connection to the CSS ARKANSAS and the Vicksburg Campaign.
I may have some errors---so don't feel free to correct any fact or conclusions that you find.

John W. Nixon
Paymaster CS Navy

Short Bio
John W. Nixon, was born in Louisiana, about 1822.
Pre-war service as purser in the United States Navy, from December 24, 1857.
Resided as a United States Naval officer, in 1860, with his wife, Catherine, and son, John, at Washington, D.C.
Original entry into Confederate States Navy, April 15, 1861; commissioned paymaster, October 23, 1862, to rank from March 26, 1861.
Served on the New Orleans station, 1861 – 1862; also attached to the Jackson station, Mississippi, 1862 – 1863.
Served on the Naval works, Atlanta, Georgia, 1864.
In 1870, he resided as a clerk at Richmond County, Georgia, with his wife and seven children.
[ORN 1, 18, 839 and 2, 1, 318 & 320; Register1863; Register1864; 1860 U.S. Census; 1870 U.S. Census.]

Paymasters for the CS Navy were assigned to specific geographic areas. John Nixon was assigned to New Orleans. After the fall of New Orleans, he apparently moved with the New Orleans depositary, Anthony Guirot, to Jackson, Mississippi. He was involved with the approval of payments for work on the CSS ARKANSAS while he was operating out of Jackson.
On 15th August 1862, Nixon signed a voucher for work performed on the stack and pilot house of the ironclad CSS ARKANSAS. Paymaster Nixon signed the payment voucher for the repair of the damaged smokestack after the gunboat ran the gauntlet of Union gunboats outside Vicksburg. There was no mention of repairs to the engines, which was eventually caused the ship to be scuttled.

SOURCE:
McNeil, Michael. Confederate Quartermasters, Commissaries, and Agents, published by Pierre Fricke, 2016.

Treasury Notes
I found this topic interesting when someone showed me how the Army Quartermasters and PayMasters used Treasury Notes. There are numismatists who collect Confederate Treasury Notes that are signed by military personnel. They also research these Treasury Notes and publish booklets on the history related to the officer and the note. These books are sold at a big coin show that is held in Memphis, Tenn. This research is important because a standard CS Treasury Note may sale for $100 but one signed by an identified officer can sale for $1200.
I really got interested in this study, when I was shown a photo of a note that was signed by the AAQM-- Acting Assistant QuarterMaster--- in my ancestor's 30th Mississippi Regiment. His name was Lt. William H. Simmons who joined with a company out of Yazoo County, Mississippi. I found a very rich, young 21-year old planter by that name living in Yazoo County in the 1860 Census.

Here is a link to a Confederate Treasure Note that was signed by John M. Nixon. Who knows---it may have paid for the repair of the CSS ARKANSAS.
$100 Treasury Note -- John Nixon
CS NOte.JPG

Fascinating. I am an amateur collector of these treasury notes. There were 72 different types of Confederate banknotes from denominations as high as 1000 dollars to as low as 50 cents. These notes are assigned type numbers (T-) 1 through 72. The notes that most quartermasters signed were T-39, T-40, (Both had train vignettes) and the note you have- T-41 with Calhoun at left with slaves hoeing. This type according to the Fricke rarity scale is rarity 3 (100000 to 50000 known to exist) so itś not that rare. BUT- the quartermaster that signed it is extremely rare so this note could be worth 600 to 1200 dollars. Thanks for posting!

Back