Edged Wpns Joe Shelby "Never Surrender" Sword

American87

Sergeant
So cool story. I was down at Shirley Plantation, finishing up a tour of Richomond-area history, and as I was leaving the gift shop, my eyes targeted this beauty.

There's a cool story behind it. Apparently Joseph Shelby (CSA) never surrendered, and with about a thousand troops, he rode into Mexico.

This is a replica of his sword. Perhaps some of my Northern kin will never understand why I have a Confederate "Never Surrender" sword.

Does anyone else have one of these? What do you think? Post pics?

Shelby1.jpg

Shelby2.jpg

I think it's appropriate, too. The first time I saw one of these mentioned, I looked it up online and found the source. I came close to buying one for myself. I am still considering it.

Apparently Joseph Shelby (CSA) never surrendered, and with about a thousand troops, he rode into Mexico.

It did not last long. He put his trust into the French Emperor Maximillian who was forced to abdicate in 1867, and Jo (Joseph Orville, hence J.O., or Jo Shelby) was forced to return to New Orleans in 1867. I do not know how many followers accompanied him, but a few stayed in Mexico, notably John Thrailkill who was of Russian descent who stayed in Mexico and died there a rich man in 1895.

(Scroll down to the end of this link.)

Regards,

Jim

Back