Ivy Mountain Memorial Clean-Up?

Suggesting to those who may be within a comfortable driving distance of Ivy Mountain (south of Prestonburg, Kentucky and the main encounter of the Big Sandy Expedition) that we gather to do a cleanup of the memorial area. This would include picking up trash, cleaning the interpretive panels, cleaning the memorial obelisk itself, raking the grounds, spreading some grass seed, scraping the dirt accumulation from the parking lot, and straightening the parking curbs. We could make this an American Battlefield Trust Park Day event, but I personally could not make the April 6th date as I am doing a different Park Day event on that date. I also live 3+ hours from the memorial, so I would have to plan a date where I can make it (a Saturday perhaps in late April or mid-May). The interpretive panels need to be replaced as well, but that is another topic.

We would need flat shovels, grass seed, cleaning materials (I have some stuff that will clean the monument that is safe for the environment), rakes, maybe even some pruners for the brush line near the river.

Is anyone interested? If we had a decent turnout, we could really make some improvements to this site, and grab a well-earned adult libation after. Comment here or send me a message.

20190201_113835.jpg

20190201_113859.jpg

20190201_114003.jpg

20190201_113935.jpg

20190201_113915.jpg

20190201_114127.jpg

Last edited:
At this moment I am looking at April 27th. Does that date work for folks? We can get this added to the Park Day list and offer some free t-shirts for those who attend.

The list of items to work on is kinda covered in my one photo above All the items in blue could be handled that day. Tools would be pruners, rakes, flat shovels, trash bags, brooms, Would need soft brushes and some D2 cleaner for the monument, and some grass seed to sow.

Excellent idea and many thanks for taking the initiative to get something going! I don't live near there, but my vacation home is only about 30-45 mins out from the place and I plan to be in the area the first week of April and would be willing to plan on being there April 6th if others are interested on that date.

If I might make a suggestion... The men of Colonel Ben E. Caudill Camp #1629 (Whitesburg, KY), SCV, are not that far away and are very active when it comes to erecting headstones and cleaning up memorials & cemeteries in southeast Kentucky. Once a date is settled on, if you'd like, I can pass the word on to them and see if any of their folks would be able & willing to help.

They might also be the best folks to talk to about erecting flagpoles. They maintain a beautiful monument site at Pound Gap near the KY/VA state line that honors everyone from both sides who served out of that area, and it incorporates both U.S. & C.S. flags.

JR in MI...thank you for the info! Alas, I personally cannot do April 6th as I am doing a Park Day in Augusta, KY that day. So I am really leaning towards the 27th (based on my schedule). Could you pass along the word to see if that date works for them before I submit it to the Trust?

Thanks!!!

JR in MI...thank you for the info! Alas, I personally cannot do April 6th as I am doing a Park Day in Augusta, KY that day. So I am really leaning towards the 27th (based on my schedule). Could you pass along the word to see if that date works for them before I submit it to the Trust?

Thanks!!!

The word has been passed and I'll let you know if I hear back from any of those guys. I wish I could alter my current schedule to be there on the 27th, but I'm hoping to be in Chicago for the Camp Douglas Memorial Service that weekend.

I hope that you get some help. I travel by it several times a year and would love to see it looking better when I roll through there again in July & August.

Via Facebook:
Sorrty.jpg

I'll put in a week of PTO around the 27th of April, that'll give me enough time to get there and sight see a bit. Are you purchasing flag poles or is that just an idea? I've bought an aluminum flagpole kit and I'm pretty happy with it, though I wouldn't call it a permanent installment. I get the impression that after a few years I'll have to buy another one. It only cost me $50 + shipping so that isn't so bad but I imagine a steel pole would be more appropriate. More than happy to chip in with things like grass seed, paint, D2 etc etc. Curious as to how we'll do the fencing. Split Rail style?

The flag poles and fencing are just ideas, and beyond the scope of an afternoon of cleaning. But they are things I think that could be accomplished in the long term! Short term I might buy a couple of flag pole mounts and attach them to the utility pole that is there. It would be far easier to knock out.

I submitted the event with the Trust, so once they have listed it on their website I'll put the link here. Sorry about the private event on Facebook, wasn't sure how to make it public!

Anyway, the items in the one picture labeled in blue is what I want to tackle. Trying to get a line on another local entity to get the word out.

Middle Creek "National" Battlefield is ten miles away, and worth a stop. A couple of hours away is Cumberland Gap, an that is recommended. Nearby the Gap is Martin's Station, an early colonial period reconstructed fort. There is also Camp Wildcat Battlefield, and even Mill Springs, both would be a few hours away, but if you are coming out for a week, close enough to explore.

Back