Is this a canteen or flask?

Mike Serpa

Major
Is he carrying a canteen or flask? I don't remember seeing something like this.
06530u.jpg

Lt. E.K. Butler, 69th N.Y.S.M. LOC #06530

That looks like a fairly plain "whiskey flask". Usually they were bit more elaborate and had an integral part, but the shape makes it a flask. Likely pewter. Some of them had loops like that to put a cord and carry it in that manner.

That's a very nice photo portrait. I can't comment on the canteen/flask, but will be interested to learn with you. An interesting thing that I see is the stand behind the soldier. We can see the three legged floor stand behind him. The vertical rod is hidden behind his leg and body, but we can see just a little of the yoke that is bracing the back of his head and holding it still for the long exposure. It's visible just under his left ear. It was effective here, too. Note that his head and shoes are in very crisp focus, but most every other part of him shows VERY slightly softened edges, because he moved ever so slightly. His breathing probably caused that.

Very nice picture! I would vote for flask. I'm assuming NYSM stands for New York State Militia? Maybe it was used by medical folks, but the strap for the flask/canteen doesn't seem durable enough to survive the rigors of campaigning.

Is he carrying a canteen or flask? I don't remember seeing something like this.
View attachment 72120
Lt. E.K. Butler, 69th N.Y.S.M. LOC #06530

That's a canteen (But from what I've read they filled canteens with much more then water when the opportunity presented itself :whistling:) it's kinda funny how he has it so prominently on display in this photo. Usually they posed with weapons on display. A sword & pistol would be more common... Not sword & canteen.

image.jpg

Kinda similar to this canteen that was more common for Rev War or French & Indian War. Not surprised militia would have them. Militia units outfitted themselves with some very unique equipment.

Flask... the body of the vessel is elliptical in shape, tapered, and appears to have a screw cap... Features not commonly found on period (or pre) canteens... but are normally found on period flasks.. Likely a gift or presentation piece, hence wearing it prominently in this image.

That's a very nice photo portrait. I can't comment on the canteen/flask, but will be interested to learn with you. An interesting thing that I see is the stand behind the soldier. We can see the three legged floor stand behind him. The vertical rod is hidden behind his leg and body, but we can see just a little of the yoke that is bracing the back of his head and holding it still for the long exposure. It's visible just under his left ear. It was effective here, too. Note that his head and shoes are in very crisp focus, but most every other part of him shows VERY slightly softened edges, because he moved ever so slightly. His breathing probably caused that.
Thank you for these fascinating observations! I had taken the headrest for a ringlet! And I had wondered why his feet and the floor are the crispest partof the photo. Now I know. Thanks again.

He's rather smartly dressed….crisp and clean….I suspect the container doubled as both….it does look more like a presentation (parade) piece…

If I had to pick…I am inclined to go with flask…..it doesn't look like it would stand up to the rigors of a campaign…thus, I'm thinking it may be some type of dress uniform item…..usually stashed, but brought out by 'gentlemen' at appropriate moments…

Yes, you are very correct!

I learned this building Barbeque Pits and Smokers. Three legs, when sufficient, are always better than 4.

Off topic, I know...

I thought it'd be "vaggle" in German.... LOL

Hmm, don't suppose he is dead? We have photos in a thread of stands being used to support the dead for photos.

Maybe he was Irish... In that case, it is definitely a flask.
Since he was in the 69th N.Y.S.M. he was most definitely Irish! They were later the famous 69th New York Infantry, the origin of the Irish Brigade.

Back