Infantry Square, Drill

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Promise, last one today! Was just let loose amongst photos, that's all, every several pages a gem. National Archives, heavy on the archives since you have to dig but you can get lost in there.

I realize there's another of these somewhere, I ' think' the troops more on the side of a hill? Have been re-reading Eric Wittenburg's book on Buford- the use of this Day 1 at Gettysburg, by Marshall's 52nd North Carolina makes terrific reading plus this pretty thrilling to see one, right? I'd site what page of " The Devil's To Pa " this occurs only cannot because I can't find where it says which page in my Kindle. :smile:

square.jpg

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Robert Gray

First Sergeant
Promise, last one today! Was just let loose amongst photos, that's all, every several pages a gem. National Archives, heavy on the archives since you have to dig but you can get lost in there.

I realize there's another of these somewhere, I ' think' the troops more on the side of a hill? Have been re-reading Eric Wittenburg's book on Buford- the use of this Day 1 at Gettysburg, by Marshall's 52nd North Carolina makes terrific reading plus this pretty thrilling to see one, right? I'd site what page of " The Devil's To Pa " this occurs only cannot because I can't find where it says which page in my Kindle. :smile:

View attachment 56960
This is the 139th Pennsylvania Infantry.

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
Those infantry squares certainly worked, as I recall not a single square broke at Waterloo, horses don’t seem very eager to run into a wall of bayonets..
Fantastic pictures by the way.
Across the revolutionary and Napoleonic war it was extremely rare that a square was broken by cavalry alone.
And when it happened wounded horses crashing into the infantry was usually what broke it open.

While it may have worked against cavalry, I would think that an artilleryman would be licking his chops to get an opportunity to fire at a mass of troops such as that.
Good point there. I suppose the infantry commander was supposed to array his troops in various formations depending on what opposition he faced. It's a heck of a photo, though!

captaindrew

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
While it may have worked against cavalry, I would think that an artilleryman would be licking his chops to get an opportunity to fire at a mass of troops such as that.
That's just the scenario at Olustee. They formed the square to successfully fend of a cavalry attack, in which the formation is designed for, then the artillery comes up and a few well placed shots runs them off the field.