In Memoriam: Dr. Gregory Hector

Nathanb1

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Silver Patron
Retired Moderator
Those of you who are in the Texas area may have met Dr. Greg Hector. He was involved in past years with various reenactments and was a member of the SCV (I'm sorry, but I've forgotten which camp he may have belonged to). He passed away this morning at his rural home after a battle with Alzheimer's and heart disease.

Dr. Hector was an educator in every sense of the word, besides being an artilleryman. If you've been to Ft. Chadbourne, Ft. McKavett, or Ft. Concho during one of their events (and I know he was at many others), you probably met him. He and his wife, Donna, were terrific living historians, and in that capacity I was thrilled to have them available for my classroom. He was also a member of our local school board and will be sorely missed in our community. We are all grieving--he normally played the bugle (he was a music teacher for many years, as well!) at our Veterans' Day ceremonies. My students are devastated, and so are we. He was a friend, role model, and the man who made the Civil War come alive for my kids.

Thanks, guys. This one is really shaking all of us. We lost our school secretary's husband in October, and now Greg. They were two of the people in our community who supported our little town--from the fire department to the athletics and academics. They took care of the older people in the Lohn Valley....and they're my age. Just also got news tonight one of my high school friends' husbands (who was also in our class) got up during the night to help Jan, became unconscious, fell, and broke most of the bones in his face, had bleeding in the brain, nine broken ribs--and they're worried about why he fell.

It's hell getting old.

Oh, my! I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend and your other friend's accident. One misery at a time is plenty, they don't need to gang up. Take care of yourself. Prayers for both families.

Thanks, guys. This one is really shaking all of us. We lost our school secretary's husband in October, and now Greg. They were two of the people in our community who supported our little town--from the fire department to the athletics and academics. They took care of the older people in the Lohn Valley....and they're my age. Just also got news tonight one of my high school friends' husbands (who was also in our class) got up during the night to help Jan, became unconscious, fell, and broke most of the bones in his face, had bleeding in the brain, nine broken ribs--and they're worried about why he fell.

It's hell getting old.
It ain't for wimps, certain sure!

So sorry Nate, sounds like a lot of pouring your way, not much plain, old rain. Glad you could bring it all here at least. , as Diane said, take care of yourself.

Brain bleed could be less scary than you think? Week ago today we almost lost Mom, ER folks said they never saw a higher number on her Warfarin, she'd been over-prescribed. Huge brain bleed, really huge- thought she was gone- woke up 2 days later speaking full sentences, walking now! Brain is a weird thing, you never know.

Back