How should George Thomas be remembered ?

How should George Thomas be remembered ?
I iwn two biographies of Thomas and " George Thomas Virginian for the Union" by Christopher Einholf University of Oklahoma Press is by far the best. It shows in vivid detail how Thomas was heartbroken over not having sufficient forces to protect Unionists and blacks during Reconstruction.
Thomas was an antebellum slave owner but the war really changed his perspective regarding civil rights. It's very well written biography.
" Master of War " the life of George H. Thomas Benson Bobrick Simon and Schuster is more of an over worship book.
Leftyhunter

Last edited:
I iwn two biographies of Thomas and " George Thomas Virginian for the Union" by Einholf is by far the best. It shows in vivid detail how Thomas was heartbroken over not having sufficient forces to protect Unionists and blacks during Reconstruction.
Thomas was an antebellum slave owner but the war really changed his perspective regarding civil rights. It's very well written biography.
" Master of War " is more of an over worship book.
Leftyhunter

If I'm not mistaken he's the only general never to have lost a major battle ?

If I'm not mistaken he's the only general never to have lost a major battle ?
Years ago we had some prior threads on Thomas and that issue caused some controversy. I forgot the details. @cash and @john _Stelle would know more about that issue.
Einholf argues that Sherman should of heeded Thomas's advice in the battles to take Atlanta.
Thomas win loss record was about has good as it got in the Civil War.
Leftyhunter

Back