How Battlefield Sites Are Categorized

Waterloo50

Major
I’ve taken this information from the CWSAC (Civil War Sites Advisory Commision. If you’ve ever wondered how a particular civil war site is rated in importance then this is how it’s done.

Some 10,500 armed conflicts occurred during the Civil War ranging from battles to minor skirmishes; 384 conflicts (3.7 percent) were identified as the principal battles and classified according to their historical significance.

Class A and B battlefields represent the principal strategic operations of the war. Class C and D battlefields usually represent operations with limited tactical objectives of enforcement and occupation.

• 45 sites (12%) were ranked “A” (having a decisive influence on a campaign and a direct impact on the course of the war);

• 104 sites (27%) were ranked “B” (having a direct and decisive influence on their campaign);

• 128 sites (33%) were ranked “C” (having observable influence on the outcome of a campaign);

• 107 sites (28%) were ranked “D” (having a limited influence on the outcome of their campaign or operation but achieving or affecting important local objectives).

The 384 principal battles occurred in 26 states. States with fifteen or more include: Virginia (123), Tennessee (38), Missouri (29), Georgia(28), Louisiana (23), North Carolina (20), Arkansas (17), and Mississippi(16).

If you’d like to know what the recommendations were for battlefield site preservation or if your just interested in a specific part of battlefield preservation then this link to the CWSAC report should be of interest. https://www.nps.gov/abpp/cwsac/cws0-1.html.

Not the place for this but will post any way .. Put a lot of work into it just need a marker!! Hope yall enjoy...

Silver Springs, Tennessee and its place in Civil War History

At the breaking out of the civil war in 1861, men of Wilson County promptly espoused the cause of the South, and responding with alacrity to the call for volunteers made by Gov. Harris, began at once the organization of companies to assist in repelling the threatened invasion of the State of Tennessee by the Federal Army. Numerous Companies where formed for various regiment.

One of the first companies formed was Company I "Silver Spring Guard's of the 7th Tennessee Infantry.

The 7th Tennessee first engagement was at the battle of Cheat Mountain. The next engagement was the battle of Seven Pines in Virginia, in which battle Col. Robert H Hatton, who had previously been promoted to a generalship, was killed. The 7th Tennessee continued throughout the war, and were engaged in all almost all the battles and campaigns, of the Army of Northern Virginia. including Gettysburg and were present at the final surrender of the army of Virginia at Appomattox Court House.

While the "Silver Spring Guard" was out fighting in Virginia the war came to their families doors steps.

On Nov 9th 1862 there was a skirmish between John H Morgan's Confederate Cavalry. And Maj. Gen. W. S. Rosecrans' 14th Army Corps.

The location of the community of Silver Springs was located two to three miles of where I live. Two pre civil war homes still stand in the area as well as a wet weather creek bed and a church appropriately named "Silver Springs Baptist Church"

This Skirmish was the beginning of large push for the union army to occupy Middle Tennessee.. The force was the whole left wing of the army of the Cumberland.

It is mentioned numerous times in the Official Records of the War of Between the States through out the war. And in Unit history of those that camped in or near the area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O.R.-- Ser. I--VOLUME XX/2 [S# 30] UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#2

HEADQUARTERS SECOND ARMY CORPS,

Near Gallatin, November 9, 1862-5 p.m.
Lieut. Col. ARTHUR C. DUCAT, [Acting] Chief of Staff:

COLONEL: Colonel Kennett reported to me in person this morning. I at once ordered him to send a battalion to General Smith, at Scottsville to occupy Hartsville with 2,000 men, to scout the country thoroughly; use every effort to prevent any obstruction of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, and send the remainder of his command to me for instructions. He has supplies for six days. I promptly sent the detachment, under Col. R. H. G. Minty, with instructions to cross the river, occupy the road from Nashville to Lebanon, open communication with Nashville, and send a company with a note to General McCook, make no advance toward Lebanon, but remain in position upon the road until further orders, to obtain information.

To General McCook I communicated the Substance of these instructions, and that I should to-morrow occupy with my command Silver Spring, Rural Hill, or some intermediate point, and also sent a brigade to Lebanon.

I yesterday sent a note to McCook by a negro hackman that I was at Gallatin, and have this moment received an answer to it. I shall try and communicate with him fully to-morrow, possibly personally. I have sent 100 wagons to Mitchellsville for supplies; having marched all day yesterday, having to go to camp and unload, they did not get off until this morning. I have here a good ford for my wagons, but very steep banks, and am constructing a footway for the soldiers to pass over. I shall cross my command to-morrow and occupy the points you have indicated. I shall cross at all events, but the position I shall occupy will depend upon the time my supply train returns.

Most respectfully, your obedient servant,

T. L. CRITTENDEN,

Major-General, Commanding

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR, Ser. I, Vol. 52, pt. II, pp. 388-389. Confederate Correspondence

HDQRS., November 13, 1862.

Maj.-Gen. BRECKINRIDGE:

GEN.: The force at Silver Springs is increasing. The enemy crossed another small division at Park House Ferry on a pontoon bridge this morning. They also have a cavalry force of about 800 at Hartsville. I will therefore fall back in the morning to Stone's River. I sent five companies last night under Lieut.-Col. Hutcheson to the pike below Silver Springs for the purpose of catching their foraging wagons. He returned this afternoon with a lieutenant and nineteen men belonging to the Fourth Michigan Cavalry.

Col. Duke also went in pursuit of a body of cavalry that were approaching Lebanon and succeeded in chasing them back to within two miles of Silver Springs. I paroled this afternoon 162 prisoners, including those which were sent to Murfreesborough and returned. I sent Maj. Breckinridge this afternoon to attack a force of about 300 who were approaching form the direction of Hartsville, but have received no information from him. My headquarters will be at Stone's River, but one regiment will remain at Lebanon until the last possible moment.

Very respectfully,

JNO. H. MORGAN, Col., Cmdg. Brigade.

Several men of the 73rd Indiana died in November of 1862 in a Army Hospital in Silver Springs.

73rd Indiana (US)

Napoleon B. Blackley Co. I 73rd Indiana
Died at Silver Springs, November 16, 1862.

Samuel C. Hess Co. G. 73rd indiana
Died at Silver Spnng., Tenn. November 17, 1862.

Charles Munson Co. E 73rd Indiana
Died at Silver Springs, Tenn. November 18, 1862.

Nathan J.Julian Co. H 73rd Indiana
Died at Silver Springs, Tenn., November 18, 18

John W. Tribby Co. D 73rd indiana
Died in hospital Silver Springs, Tenn November 19, 1862.

Hiram, F. Allen Co. K 73rd indiana
Died at Silver Springs, Tenn November 19, 1862.

And another interesting bit of info.

From The History of the 41st Ohio Volunter Infantry ( I had a distant relative in the 41st Ohio infantry)

On the 15th of November the Cumberland river was crossed on a trestle foot bridge, and the halt for the night was near Silver Springs, Tennessee. At this place was witnessed the only scene of its kind in the history of the regiment. a Lieutenant and a privare had been sentenced by court martial, the former to dismissal in disgrace, and the latter to the ceremony known as "Drumming out of camp." The division was formed in columns closed in mass, on three sides of a square, and the culprits were marched under guard to the open side, where the division adjutant read the charges and the finding of the court. He then tore the shoulder straps from the officer's coat, While the private was marched around the square, a placard on his back marked "Thief" and the drum corps playning the Roque's march. The two were then taken under guard through the lines and turned lose.

At this camp Lieut. Col S Mygatt, having resigned, bade farwell to the regiment, leaving Major Wiley in Command.

In 1863 several members of the 14th Kentucky Cavalry (CS) were captured there.

L. D. Creswell private Co. D 14th Kentucky Cavalry
Captured at Silver Spring, TN Aug. 26, 1863.
P.O.W. Nashville, TN Aug. 1863.
Died at Camp Douglas January 25, 1864.
Grave # 980 Chicago City Cemetery.

Jesse T. Hunter Private Co D 14th Kentucky Cavalry
Captured Silver Spring, TN. Aug. 26, 1863
P.O.W. Louisville, KY Sept. 1. 1863.
Died of dysentery Aug, 7, 1864. Died at Camp Douglas
Grave: #1251 Chicago City Cemetery.

Eclemwill T. Sullivan Private Co. C 14th Kentucky Cavalry
Captured Silver Spring, Tenn. Aug 26, 1863.
POW at Nashville, TN Aug. 1863
Received at Military Prison, Louisville, KY and sent to Camp Douglas.
Died Nov. 28, 1864 of Small Pox. Locality of grave: Near Camp Douglas.

And heres a letter from Eliza E. Curd to her cousin Mr. J. P. McCulloch,

Silver Springs

June 9, 1863

It is with sure pleasure that I take my pen in hand to ink you a few lines to let you know that I am still numbered with the living of Old Wilson, although I don't think that you care about hearing from any of the girls in this neighborhood as you have not written something to any of us. You promise me when I saw you last to write to me, but I have not received a line from you yet. I have nothing to write that would interest you.

I recon (reckon) you have heard that Nannie Lanius and James Davis was married. I was at their wedding and injoyed myself very well. You aught to have been there and seen the two children standing on the flowers. They did not join right hands, they joined left hands. Miss Love Lenard and Mr. John Clemons married last week. She asked me to wait on her but the yankees taken the young man that was to wait with me so I did not have the pleasure of ever waiting on her. I am oppose(d) to wedding now because my sweetheart is in the army and I want every man to go and help him to fight for his country so he can come home and we can have peace and injoy ourselves as we once did.

We have not had any peace here in Wilson since last summer. The yankee has been coming in this neighborhood every two or three days stealing every thing they could find. They came to the Silver Springs yesterday but did not come over to see us and I was glad they did not. I never did think I could hate any people as bad as I do the yankee. They (had) taken my horse when they were here last fall and every one that could come I would ask them about my horse and one day one came and rode him and I talked to him and begged him to give me my horse. He told me if I would come to (his) camp he would let me have him and I started and when I got there they had gone and never have heard anything more from him.

Cousin Jim, I thought I was gone up. They came here to me as a Morgan spy because I know some of Morgan's men and they saw me (talking with them). They talked about taking several girls in this neighborhood and sending them to Camp Chase. One of the yankees asked who my rebble sweetheart was. I told him I would see him dead before I would tell hem who he was. He said he would like to see him dead before. I told him if he would go to LaVergne he could see him. I told him that if he did go he would never have the pleasure of coming away!

There is Southern soldiers pass here every day. They all say they are a feared to stop, all except one and he said he would go through an army of yankees to go to Jamie(?) Curd. You aught to be here to see us, how we take on sometime. I recon you will want to know who he is. It is Lt. Harris, he is from Kentucky (and) he is very good looking and smart. He will leave in the morning and go to his camp but will not be gone long. He has been in this neighborhood for three weeks ~ anybody now to pass some of the time with. I about intend to get me another sweetheart. The one in the army forsaken me and if he does I will try and get me another. Mr. J. Hurt called on me a few days ago, him and Mr. Jim (illegible) . The yankees taken Jim a prisoner and exchanged him and he came home on a furlough. I never spent such lonesome times in my life.

We have no preaching to go to now, the preachers are afraid to come and preach for us so we stay at home every Sunday and some times a young man comes in and stays a while. We all girls visit each other and stay to pass the time the best we can and look forward to the time when the boys can come home and stay in peace.

I went down to Hadley's Bends about two weeks ago on bissness (business) for Pa. Bettie Lanius went with me. We was gone about fore (four) days. I met up with (illegible) Lanius and had quite a nice time. I expected to see the yankee at any minit but did not see any. We weren't in half a mile of their camp.

Cousin Jim you aught to be in Wilson when there is talk of the yankee coming to see the old men hiding their horses or a getting out of the way themselves to keep from taking the Oath. There is several men south of us that has (illegible) and taken the Oath. I want some Southern Soldiers to come and take every one of their horses and (their) corn and everything they need. Uncle Price Curd has went and taken the Oath. I want them to come and visit him. You can tell Ed Curd (2) that if he wanted to come home his (illegible) father would not let him. He would have to report him.

The ladies say it is nothing for them to curse the yankee. There was several cursed them when they were in this neighborhood the last time. I never have cursed one yet and never will. I am afraid they will take me to Camp Chase (3). They say they inten(d) to stop the women from talking. They have been making the ladies down in (illegible) take the Oath. I don't think I will ever take it. I will go south before I will take the Oath. They will ruin the people in Tennessee if you all don't make haste and drive them from here soon!

I recon you would like to hear from Miss Mollie Lanius. She spent the day with me last Sunday. She is as pretty as ever. She did not like it because you did not call and see her when you past last fall. She said I was the cause of you not calling. I told her that I was not the cause of you not stopping for I thought that you was going to stop and spend the day with her. I heard from (illegible) this week. (Illegible) told me he saw you and you was well. I was glad to hear that you was well but I thought you might write a few lines to let a body know that you was not dead. I wish a few of you boys would be detailed to come in this neighborhood to get horses. I heard that three or four of your company was about to get married in (illegible). I recon that you are one of the members. I believe that it is so by not one of you not writing. I think that the girls of Old Wilson is forsaken by that company. We would like to hear from if all you do marry that means not keeping you from writing to your old friends. I had better quit with out (asking) if this was most interesting to you. This leaves me well. Excuse the bad writing and do not let this be seen if you can pleas.

Eliza E. Curd .

The community of Silver Springs and its place in Civil War History is all but long forgotten except for a few folks like me. And I shall never forget.

Silver Springs was located 10 miles west of Lebanon, Tennessee on the Nashville pike. which is now Hwy 70. Near the intersection of hwy 70 and benders ferry. (In the City limits of Mt. Juliet) My hope is to one day have a historical marker placed in the area.

I just classify them as campaigns, battles, skirmishes, fights and actions. My ancestor with the 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry fought in hundreds of skirmishes, fights and actions in Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, and several campaigns and major battles. So when I visit the areas that he fought most of them are skirmishes, actions and fights, thusly very little information is available making the research so much more difficult. Many of those took place along deserted stretches of road which connected one town, hamlet or community with another, or along a lonely stretch of railroad, in a wooded area, swamp or along a river some where. Thanks to his journal and letters written home from other men in his regiment I was able to narrow down some of the locations of many skirmishes, fights and actions in which he was engaged.

Last edited:
I just classify them as campaigns, battles, skirmishes, fights and actions. My ancestor with the 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry fought in hundreds of skirmishes, fights and actions in Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, and several campaigns and major battles. So when I visit the areas that he fought most of them are skirmishes, actions and fights, thusly very little information is available making the research so much more difficult. Many of those took place along deserted stretches of road which connected one town, hamlet or community with another, or along a lonely stretch of railroad, in a wooded area, swamp or along a river some where. Thanks to his journal and letters written home from other men in his regiment I was able to narrow down some of the locations of many skirmishes, fights and actions in which he was engaged.
It’s a very special feeling when you follow in the footsteps of your ancestors, you’re very lucky to have his journal and letters. I’d imagine that it’s extra special when you visit those deserted areas.

It’s a very special feeling when you follow in the footsteps of your ancestors, you’re very lucky to have his journal and letters. I’d imagine that it’s extra special when you visit those deserted areas.

Several of the areas are less than a couple of miles from where I currently live. About 20 of the sights and small towns are with-in 6 miles of where I live, so every time that I drive through those areas, nearly everyday, my mind reflects back to his fighting there 155 years ago. Before he died he took my Great Grandfather to the places that he fought in this area and showed him where the fighting took place and then shared his memories with him about that fighting. My Great Grandfather showed my Grandfather and so on through the family.

Several of the areas are less than a couple of miles from where I currently live. About 20 of the sights and small towns are with-in 6 miles of where I live, so every time that I drive through those areas, nearly everyday, my mind reflects back to his fighting there 155 years ago. Before he died he took my Great Grandfather to the places that he fought in this area and showed him where the fighting took place and then shared his memories with him about that fighting. My Great Grandfather showed my Grandfather and so on through the family.
Is your avatar your relative?

No, the first avatar that I used when I joined the forum was a photo of my ancestor. I replaced that one with the one that I have now which is of Colonel Richard G. Earle, 2nd Alabama Cavalry Regiment Commander, who was killed in action on 18 May 1864 near Woodlands, Georgia at the Manor of his friend, Mr. Godfrey Barnsley, while fighting against components of "Wilder`s Lightning Brigade" during the Atlanta / Dalton Campaign. It is kind of ironic as on that day the 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry routed "Wilder`s Lighting Brigade" and captured about 50 of their famous white horses, but before the day was complete they lost their Colonel in the process.

Last edited:
I never really gave much thought to the classification of battlefields, so this is great information @Waterloo50 .

I especially enjoyed @scone insights, via various snippets, of the importance of just one site in terms of the lives that were gathered around it.

Thank you

Nothing show the area but a period not in the best looking shape.. The other was moved and restored I have been told ... I know the extended a road one south to a new High School and built a church north of said road and civil war items where found... Was it big no but effected a lot … Significant ? well just another ferry from Gallatin, TN to get to Murfreesboro . 41st Ohio ? Part of Hazen Brigade :smile: Lot of people want to trace their family to places they traveled to or through .. I do & I done I.. most locals don't have a clue … Some do like us ...

Last edited:
@Waterloo50 @Cavalry Charger I think of the persons all home front and all that went to war … Many towns sent their fathers and sons to …. Not making it a southern thing but many had stories as I posted … I cant conform but I bet on it … Myself I believe a town village that send those to war as son brother father volunteered or drafted needs a marker north south … my little posting was not to stir the pot but unite … we need to remember the small things … I this about battle sites maybe the ancestry forum … Light bulb sorry for the distraction to you all

@Waterloo50 @Cavalry Charger I think of the persons all home front and all that went to war … Many towns sent their fathers and sons to …. Not making it a southern thing but many had stories as I posted … I cant conform but I bet on it … Myself I believe a town village that send those to war as son brother father volunteered or drafted needs a marker north south … my little posting was not to stir the pot but unite … we need to remember the small things … I this about battle sites maybe the ancestry forum … Light bulb sorry for the distraction to you all
Markers in the shape of small information boards would be useful especially to those with an interest in the war but I could see potential problems with those whom lobby for the removal of monuments. Over here in Britain every village, town city has a war memorial dedicated to those lost in the Great War and WW2. The war memorials are an acknowledgement to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. A simple marker like this one which is located near my home, it tells you the rank, name and hometown of each airman, they’ll never be forgotten...period.
F4EA45F5-78C3-40C4-81CF-0F53092435A4.jpeg

This was the last memorial service for the American aircrew, a young army cadet holds the American flag. The fire department were also in attendance because it was their wartime colleagues that rushed to the crash site.
7874D0AF-BFA0-4E2C-B7D3-464F97FB73F3.jpeg

Where was this … They were hell a Chickamauga captured my 3rd great uncle

On 18 May 1864 starting at Kingston, Ga. which started a running fight from there to Woodlands, Ga. Major Jacob G. Vail and 4 companies of the 17th Indiana Cavalry from "Wilders Lightning Brigade" were cutting telegraph wires and tearing up R/R tracks between Rome and Kingston, Georgia when they unexpectedly came across Brigadier General Samuel Wragg Ferguson`s Cavalry Brigade coming out of Kingston as they neared an unguarded bridge. The 2nd Alabama Cavalry Regiment, who was leading Brig. General Ferguson`s Cavalry Brigade at the head of his column, being led by Col. Richard G. Earle, were given the order to deploy and charge and that they did reportedly routing the four companies of "Wilders Lightning Brigade" and giving chase to them back towards Rome for quite a few miles before breaking off the skirmish.

This is what Brig. General Samuel Wragg Ferguson wrote in his journal regarding how the 2nd Alabama Cavalry Regiment under his command acted as they fought during that engagement on this day:

"I encountered Colonel John T. Wilders Lightning Brigade as they were approaching a bridge which was unguarded. The 2nd Alabama Cavalry (Col. R. G. Earle) were at the head of my column and I ordered them to deploy and charge; this they did in handsome style, routing the enemy and chasing them for several miles and capturing about 50 of their white horses".

This was the first time that Ferguson`s Cavalry Brigade engaged against Colonel John T. Wilder and his Lightning Brigade as well as that of Colonel Robert H. G. Minty`s Saber Brigade (to include the Fourth Michigan Cavalry who went on to capture Jeff Davis at the end of the war), but it would most certainly not be the last time. Ferguson`s Cavalry Brigade fought against both Wilder`s and Minty`s Brigades frequently throughout the Atlanta Campaign.

During this fight, in addition to Colonel Richard G. Earle being shot and killed, 18 year old Pvt. Edwin Hart Robinson ("H" Troop), 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry was wounded in battle, being shot in the right leg, which resulted in him being sent to the Institute Hospital at Atlanta and having that leg amputated.

He wrote years later regarding this episode:

"In March, 1862, at the early age of sixteen, I was a soldier-boy with patriotic zeal. A private in Company "H" of the Second Alabama Cavalry Regiment, I served in that capacity until May 1864, when near Kingston, Ga., some careless (****) Yank gave me an unlimited furlough. Since that day I have existed, with the aid of timber-toes, I have hobbled through life, engaged often in a desperate struggle against poverty, for an honorable maintenance for self, wife, and little ones."

Last edited:
On 18 May 1864 starting at Kingston, Ga. which started a running fight from there to Woodlands, Ga. Major Jacob G. Vail and 4 companies of the 17th Indiana Cavalry from "Wilders Lightning Brigade" were cutting telegraph wires and tearing up R/R tracks between Rome and Kingston, Georgia when they unexpectedly came across Brigadier General Samuel Wragg Ferguson`s Cavalry Brigade coming out of Kingston as they neared an unguarded bridge. The 2nd Alabama Cavalry Regiment, who was leading Brig. General Ferguson`s Cavalry Brigade at the head of his column, being led by Col. Richard G. Earle, were given the order to deploy and charge and that they did reportedly routing the four companies of "Wilders Lightning Brigade" and giving chase to them back towards Rome for quite a few miles before breaking off the skirmish.

This is what Brig. General Samuel Wragg Ferguson wrote in his journal regarding how the 2nd Alabama Cavalry Regiment under his command acted as they fought during that engagement on this day:

"I encountered Colonel John T. Wilders Lightning Brigade as they were approaching a bridge which was unguarded. The 2nd Alabama Cavalry (Col. R. G. Earle) were at the head of my column and I ordered them to deploy and charge; this they did in handsome style, routing the enemy and chasing them for several miles and capturing about 50 of their white horses".

This was the first time that Ferguson`s Cavalry Brigade engaged against Colonel John T. Wilder and his Lightning Brigade as well as that of Colonel Robert H. G. Minty`s Saber Brigade (to include the Fourth Michigan Cavalry who went on to capture Jeff Davis at the end of the war), but it would most certainly not be the last time. Ferguson`s Cavalry Brigade fought against both Wilder`s and Minty`s Brigades frequently throughout the Atlanta Campaign.

During this fight, in addition to Colonel Richard G. Earle being shot and killed, 18 year old Pvt. Edwin Hart Robinson ("H" Troop), 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry was wounded in battle, being shot in right the leg, which resulted in him being sent to the Institute Hospital at Atlanta and having his right leg amputated.

He wrote years later regarding this episode:

"In March, 1862, at the early age of sixteen, I was a soldier-boy with patriotic zeal. A private in Company "H" of the Second Alabama Cavalry Regiment, I served in that capacity until May 1864, when near Kingston, Ga., some careless (****) Yank gave me an unlimited furlough. Since that day I have existed, with the aid of timber-toes, I have hobbled through life, engaged often in a desperate struggle against poverty, for an honorable maintenance for self, wife, and little ones."
God Bless Him... thank you

Back