Historical Marker

Stumbled upon this today while trying to find graves of Some of Mosby’s Rangers.

910507EC-1059-4362-BEA9-EB642C9F8B5E.jpeg

John Mobberly's grave is about 10 miles from here. He was known to sometimes ride with Mosby, and then started his own group. As far as I know he was such a pain in the *** to the Harpers Ferry garrison, that he was the only ACW soldier killed by paid assassins.
Mobberly is buried in Salem Church Cemetery in Hillsboro, VA along Harpers Ferry Road. If you face the cemetery from the road, his marker is on the right side if I remember correctly. "Pain in the ***" is putting it nicely, I think he was a sociopath. For some reason, though, many people in the area still see him as some sort of dashing and daring hero. The story of his death is a pretty good one. The world was a better place once that mission was accomplisjed.

Mobberly is buried in Salem Church Cemetery in Hillsboro, VA along Harpers Ferry Road. If you face the cemetery from the road, his marker is on the right side if I remember correctly. "Pain in the ***" is putting it nicely, I think he was a sociopath. For some reason, though, many people in the area still see him as some sort of dashing and daring hero. The story of his death is a pretty good one. The world was a better place once that mission was accomplisjed.
You are correct sir. I need to get up to the old farm where he was killed. The people that own it, or the farm next to it are family to a friend of mine.

You are correct sir. I need to get up to the old farm where he was killed. The people that own it, or the farm next to it are family to a friend of mine.
I was there a few years ago - talk about the middle of nowhere! - but, I could not find it again if I had to. The "Short Hills" are a beautiful area, though. Nice place to just cruise around.

Back