Impressions Help with Union Cav Quartermaster impression

Glad to hear your getting into your impression. As someone who does Civilian impression as a Confederate States Statesman and Cabinet member. I say attend as many reenactments as you can find somewhere you can fit in. I have found most reenactors to be very nice and family friendly.
Thank you sir. That's excellent advice, we will be attending another event in June - possibly two. Thankfully we've yet to run into any negative people although being 55 I know it's bound to happen eventully.

That impression needs to be done more. I think that is a good idea.
Much appreciated.

If you are looking to have the proper paperwork Sullivan Press has kits of the quartermaster paperwork and they also sell an artillery/cavalry quartermaster add on kit, and some other things that a quartermaster might need.
This is great! Thanks a bunch.

As for the wagon I think there are people that make them. Such as Engels Coach Shop, there was another one but I forget the name. But the price of these things are not going to be cheap.
Thanks for this information. Here are a few other links for future readers of the thread...

Very helpful forum member makes them:
http://www.starkvillecivilwararsenal.com/

Here's another wagon maker:
https://www.hansenwheel.com/

There is a to volume book group for civil war woodworking which name I have forgotten, I think is quite popular. Also Company D 2nd Usss has mad videos on how to make hardtack and ammunition boxes,both of which were distributed by the quartermaster department.

Dan Kohli
Appreciated. I've seen a few of the Company D videos on youtube, will scan through the list.

Very good. I'm looking for a copy (anyone have one they could sell?)

Thanks again everyone.

Hi,

Just starting out and looking for advice and information regarding a union cav quartermaster impression. For the moment I think I have the uniform pieces figured out (more on that later) but could really use advice on how to handle camp setup, wagon, taking on the role and anything else regarding the impression itself.

A few questions:

1. How did the quartermaster engage in camp activities? How would you recommend this impression best be carried out? I already realize event attendees will want to engage and probably have many questions but if you have suggestions on what to research and learn about for attendees, that would be very helpful.

2. Did he have a large tent with crates of supplies and perhaps a desk to track who was outfitted?

3. Did he sleep in the QM tent or a separate, personal one?

4. If we built/bought a wagon, would that be a nice addition to the battlefield? Are there readily available plans for a small to medium sized wagon that is reasonably priced?

5. Same question for crates. Anything available for semi-easily built time-period QM supply crates?

6. Would civilians have been available to use for labor? What about women? (I have a 17 year old daughter who would like to help but I don't know exactly how to handle that).

I'm sure I will have a lot of followup questions based on responses and please feel free to ask anything required. I appreciate any and all help and don't mind reading and researching if there are available books/pamphlets etc. regarding the matter.

Thanks!

-Jerry
I think there is a Texas Wagon Maker also. The wagon is a huge undertaking but can be used in so many ways. You don't really have to use one that's fully functional right off the bat. Finding old wagon hulks is fairly easy. Mock one up as a Quartermaster Wagon while building a real one. Wagons are great for Regimental or Company wagons carrying the soldiers property and mess equipage. You know, the ones that get lost with everyone's baggage just as the snow begins to flurry. Headquarters Wagon. Ad Hoc Ambulance with dead and dying soldiers moaning inside and a nice heavy trickle of blood leaking out of the bed. You might find yourself in demand.
Good Luck. I am interested in a wagon also for such things as I mentioned plus even more. I'm not physically nor financially in any shape to conquer what you are after. The advice of having to move all that **** around should be well considered.
Cheers!

I suppose if people are willing to suspend disbelief for a bit, you could set up a backdrop with a picture of a wagon on it, and then have boxes and stuff in the foreground. Using a little forced prospective you could create something interesting and somewhat believable. We are after all actors, I see no reason not to use stagecraft when 1:1 recreation isn’t practical.

I suppose if people are willing to suspend disbelief for a bit, you could set up a backdrop with a picture of a wagon on it, and then have boxes and stuff in the foreground. Using a little forced prospective you could create something interesting and somewhat believable. We are after all actors, I see no reason not to use stagecraft when 1:1 recreation isn’t practical.
Western Reserve Volunteer, If you are looking for a wagon, I know a fellow that is selling one. I'll find some pictures of it and send you...

I'll post the pictures...not send. I'll have to find what file I stored them in. I have kids...may take a little time.

This is the wagon my friend is selling...
IMG_8626.jpg
IMG_8625.jpg
IMG_8624.jpg

Wow! That one's a beauty!

I'm not looking for a wagon at the moment (tempting but I haven't the money, or space, or horses for that matter!), but I think the original poster and many others here on CWT might be interested!

The backdrop thing was just a random thought I had recently, looking at this old thread. I recently encountered the term "historical theater" to describe what we'd call "living history" in my studies of public history and it got my gears turning.

Back