Insignia Help with identifying forearm sleeve stripes

Busvette

Private
Joined
Nov 19, 2017
Location
Franklin Maine
I have attached a picture of a 19th century Revenue Cutter uniform. I can't find any info on what the forearm stripes stand for. I know they could be service stripes with one added for each 4 years of service, however, they would have been added to just the left sleeve not both sides. Thanks for any help.
Don
0-5.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: WJC
I will have to look for my Revenue Cutter uniform regulations. Wonder where I put them?
 
I have attached a picture of a 19th century Revenue Cutter uniform. I can't find any info on what the forearm stripes stand for. I know they could be service stripes with one added for each 4 years of service, however, they would have been added to just the left sleeve not both sides. Thanks for any help.
DonView attachment 326198
It appears to be a Petty officer's jacket with service chevrons, are there three buttons on each cuff? The Revenue Cutter Service regs denote a blue cloth jacket with nine revenue cutter buttons on each lapel, three under each pocket and three on each cuff. Service chevrons would be on each sleeve diagonally pointing down in the front, but only from the outer seam or half. Each chevron denotes an enlistment.
 
I have attached a picture of a 19th century Revenue Cutter uniform. I can't find any info on what the forearm stripes stand for. I know they could be service stripes with one added for each 4 years of service, however, they would have been added to just the left sleeve not both sides. Thanks for any help.
DonView attachment 326198
In the army at least, in this period they were worn on both sleeves.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top