Help needed transcribing

John Winn

Lt. Colonel
This is a page from the probate record of a veteran buried in the cemetery where I volunteer. I'm having difficulty with a few lines and would greatly appreciate some help. Here's what I can decipher:

For money (?) paid for digging grave
For Coffin & Lot
For (?)
For (?)
For (?) Service (?)
For Dressing Corpse

Can any of y'all read the question words ? Thanks for looking.

Scan0001.jpg

@JOHN42768 Yes, it does seem very expensive and I know some of the charges are too much (we have records of what the cemetery charged, for instance).

@drezac I wondered if it said "tombstone" also. I'm particularly interested if it does as the marker actually placed was wood and that price would have been way too high for such.

The deceased died intestate and had no local family so his business partner (might have been an employee but likely was partner) volunteered to be the administrator of the estate. Thus, he could approve any charges and these were submitted by him. Turns out he left town in apparent short order before the estate was settled (the court had to appoint somebody to tidy up and said that he had "absconded") and he skipped out on his mortgage. So, I'm tending to think the guy who submitted these charges just wrote himself a check and then skedaddled to California.

Thanks to all who've given this a go - I do appreciate it. I'd still like to hear from some more folks. Want to give this a go @lelliott19 ?

John

Ill keep working on it, but here is my initial effort:

Line 1: For money paid for digging grave
Line 2: For coffin & Lot
Line 3: Fornb Taltine (I think this might be for embalming? Cant find anything saying that taltine was a chemical used for embalming but Ill keep looking)
Line 4: For Ihurng (Shurng, Shrong? perhaps Shaving as has been suggested or a Shroud?)
Line 5: For nodny service (could very well be notary as @E_just_E suggested)
Line 6: For Dressing Corpse (uses the archaic double s)

Was this man Jewish? perhaps some of these terms are religious?

Ill keep working on it, but here is my initial effort:

Line 1: For money paid for digging grave
Line 2: For coffin & Lot
Line 3: Fornb Taltine (I think this might be for embalming? Cant find anything saying that taltine was a chemical used for embalming but Ill keep looking)
Line 4: For Ihurng (Shurng, Shrong? perhaps Shaving as has been suggested or a Shroud?)
Line 5: For nodny service (could very well be notary as @E_just_E suggested)
Line 6: For Dressing Corpse (uses the archaic double s)

Was this man Jewish? perhaps some of these terms are religious?

Thank you ma'am for having a go at this.

I'm quite sure the deceased wasn't Jewish (they had their own part of the cemetery, as did the Catholics). He was Swiss as was the man who wrote and submitted this claim. So, Protestant of some flavor.

I, too, think it's "dressing" and not draping. Being that they spoke German using the double S would make sense.

I rather think embalming wasn't happening at the time but can't say so for sure. There's no advertisements for such in the papers (there were only two papers then). Given that he was buried the next day that would at least imply no embalming.

Back