Help Needed on Uniform

GMSorrel

Private
20171205_170059-1.jpg
20171205_170125-1.jpg
Screenshot_2017-12-05-17-08-39.png
20171205_210940.jpg
Soliciting any info, thoughts, and/or comments on this 1/9th tintype. Would love to match this guy with a particular state or maybe unit.

Here’s what I have observed:

-Wears a forge style cap with “F R” in a wreath

-M1855 Riflemen’s Belt with bayonet for a Mississippi Rifle

-Has wide stripe down pants with another color of trim on the outside

-Pants seem to be of a highly refined/polished/slick material

-Three buttons are on one side of the cuff and only one on the other

-Has a false button hole collar

-Tin has “Neff’s Pat 19Feb56” stamped in it

My very novice assessment/feel is that this is probably a Southern pre-war militia uniform that went into Confederate service. I have attached a list of the known “F R” units that served the Confederacy. I know this group is very knowledgeable and hopefully someone can relate a particular item that helps narrow down the identity. Please comment as to anything you notice, observe, or speculate.

Thanks!

This one is going to take some major digging in order to find out which unit he's from and could be a Union one.

So hard to guess what state. I assume the"R" is for Rifles or Riflemen so if we could find the "F" connection we might figure this out.

View attachment 168987 View attachment 168988 View attachment 168989 View attachment 168991 Soliciting any info, thoughts, and/or comments on this 1/9th tintype. Would love to match this guy with a particular state or maybe unit.

My very novice assessment/feel is that this is probably a Southern pre-war militia uniform that went into Confederate service. I have attached a list of the known “F R” units that served the Confederacy. I know this group is very knowledgeable and hopefully someone can relate a particular item that helps narrow down the identity. Please comment as to anything you notice, observe, or speculate.

Thanks!
I think you will find that the trouser stripe is green with a white or gold border.

Thanks guys for the comments so far. Hoping this one will stick in your minds in case you run across anything similar in the future.

I know this is going to sound flip, but I cannot look at this photo without thinking 'leprachaun'....
:rofl:

Just from the look of the guy, I wouldn't make fun of his hat while sitting at the bar....
And under no circumstance, would I tell him he looked like a leprechaun. :bounce:

Regarding the uniform, I vote either militia or an early War local company . . . North or South.

I think that Georgia is a good possibility. The above photos are Georgians that share similar uniform characteristics.

View attachment 168987 View attachment 168988 View attachment 168989 View attachment 168991 Soliciting any info, thoughts, and/or comments on this 1/9th tintype. Would love to match this guy with a particular state or maybe unit.

Thanks!
I think he resembles the late actress Margaret Hamilton and I am not being facetious.

Back