1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Help In Identifying My Rifle Please

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by wondrboy, Mar 18, 2017.

1. wondrboy

wondrboy Cadet

Hello ! I have what I think to be an 1861 Bridesburg. It is stamped "U.S. Bridesburg" on the right side of the lock, and directly below that it's stamped "1861". I have never seen the date stamped directly below (there is no date stamp on the far left of the lock). Is this an authentic rifle, or a reproduction ? Thanks for your help !

Specster and Jobe Holiday like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Legion Para

Legion Para Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Welcome to the forum wondrboy.

Photographs would be most helpful.

welcome-header (1).jpg

51243x4.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Welcome, enjoy

5. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Hello wondrboy, welcome to the forums.

I'm sure many of our experts can identify your rifle. Using the upload a file button below the text box, you should be able to post a photo of the weapon.

6. wondrboy

wondrboy Cadet

Thank you, I will try to upload a photo ( I do not have the rifle currently). However, in your picture of the 1863 Bridesburg, my rifle is stamped "1861" right below "U.S. Bridesburg", and on my rifle there is nothing where the "1863" stamp is. Mine also has the eagle/shield. I will post a pic asap - thanks again

7. Jobe Holiday

Jobe Holiday First Sergeant

The description of your lock with "Bridesburg over 1861" is correct for the earliest delivery of Bridesburg Contract M-1861 Rifle Muskets! They are not easy to find, either. Congratulations!
    J

Specster and James N. like this.
  8. wondrboy

wondrboy Cadet

Thanks - any idea of the value ? I've done some Internet searches but cant seem to find one like mine

9. johan_steele

johan_steele Colonel Retired Moderator

A lot will depend upon condition but as that sounds like a legit early M1861, among the first delivered, which are highly sought after by collectors. If it has been sporterized, cut down, value is severely reduced and partsing it out might be the more valuable alternative. The lock alone, if in good condition might be north of $750 in value. Another very valuable feature, if complete, is the nosecap. Supposedly the very first few delivered had brass nosecaps but I personally have never seen evidence of that... such would be the holy grail to some collectors. If complete the minimum value WAG I would give would be in the $1200 range with various factors increasing that.

So a picture is vital at giving any kind of educated guess. And nutters like me are looking forward to such.

Specster and Jobe Holiday like this.
  10. Jobe Holiday

The story about a brass nose cap on any of the Contract muskets is merely myth. The reason is that the brass nose caps were passe by late 1858. In addition, the contracts let in 1861 all called for iron nose caps.
    J.

Specster and johan_steele like this.
  11. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com Sergeant Major Forum Host

A lot will depend upon condition but as that sounds like a legit early M1861, among the first delivered, which are highly sought after by collectors. If it has been sporterized, cut down, value is severely reduced and parting it out might be the more valuable alternative.

I agree. The early CW muskets are very sought after when they have early war dates. But the cut down is a negative but its still a VERY nice musket.

Specster likes this.
  12. Jobe Holiday

Today, with the scarcity of early arms, many of the early model arms which have been cut down are now being restored to their former full length.
    J.

Specster likes this.
  13. wondrboy

wondrboy Cadet

Guys, thanks for all your info/input. My rifle has indeed been cut down, and is in pretty poor condition, but maybe I should look into getting it restored. I still plan on posting a pic when I get it back - thanks again !

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)