Help identifying accoutrement

farcwarts

Cadet
Good day to you all. Could someone please assist with identifying what accoutrement this side strap may go to? At first I thought it was part of a belt rig but it appears to go beyond the belt and further down. I also do not see an attachment on the top of the belt where a side strap would clip or snap on to. I then thought it could be perhaps a strap for a binocular case or a pouch but examples I have seen don't have this type of strap. There also appears to be something on the strap that runs from chest height to stomach height. It looks to have a handle so I am wondering if it may be a knife? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Belt closeup.jpg

I believe it’s a shoulder surport for his sword belt. A adjustable one with a roller buckle. The other device almost looks like a watch fob or some other adornment? Perhaps a division or brigade device? Just my opinion I will be interested to see what others think!

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I thought at first as well that the strap was part of the belt but when I enlarged the photo I saw that the strap went down beyond the outside of the belt and it is continuing in a downward rear-facing direction behind his arm. This is what led me to believe it went to perhaps a binocular case or something else. I am wondering if there are any other thoughts on what this might be or what may be attached to the front of the strap. The thought of it being a watch fob was something I had not thought of so thanks for that idea.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I thought at first as well that the strap was part of the belt but when I enlarged the photo I saw that the strap went down beyond the outside of the belt and it is continuing in a downward rear-facing direction behind his arm. This is what led me to believe it went to perhaps a binocular case or something else. I am wondering if there are any other thoughts on what this might be or what may be attached to the front of the strap. The thought of it being a watch fob was something I had not thought of so thanks for that idea.
The part going down from the belt is his saber hook and strap from the bottom of the belt. Old photos are grainy and shadows can obliterate details.

Thanks for your analysis and reply. Having done some further research I have come to believe that it is the strap from an officer's haversack that I am seeing that is overlapping the belt and going further down and behind his sleeve, hiding the haversack pouch behind and below his arm.

Back