Hello...Need help with my research

Attachments

• The_New_York_Times_Sun__Jul_6__1862_.jpg
    The_New_York_Times_Sun__Jul_6__1862_.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 145
Interesting.....My Orin is certainly the 41 year old. He held strong abolitionist beliefs and was a successful canal boat builder. At 41 he was twice the age of most volunteers. Signed up with the Seneca Rangers in Oswego NY, later merged into the new 81st at Albany. I don't have much info on the extended Fitch family and haven't come across your Orrin M. Where was the 17th organized?

Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the forum Rhode Island Jack.

Here is the history of the 17th New York Infantry.

https://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/17thInf/17thInfMain.htm

Hello and welcome from 35 miles north of Gettysburg! Would you care to share some photos of your treasures here?

I'm just now double checking the authenticity of some of the smaller insignia, etc. I wouldn't want to post an incorrect item given the impressive knowledge and experience of this audience. Happy to post pictures in near future.

I'm overwhelmed with the depth of knowledge on this site. Wish I had found it 10 years ago.

Many Thanks

Yes.....my relative is Orin J. Fitch. I have samples of military records showing Orren, Oren and Owen as well as the correct Orin J. He is fairly easy to sort out because of his age...41 upon enlistment. Quite old , especially in the early stage of the war, 1861.

I was unaware of the Onedia Business Directory. What exactly do the lists represent? Deeds? Interested in knowing.

Thanks....I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge available on this site.

At Seven Pines

From report Capt. William C. Raulston comd'g. 81st New York, Palmer's brigade :

"We were ordered into line at 12:30 P. M. ; formed immediately, and were ordered to
take a position in a narrow road between the woods and an inclosure of 250 yards in
breadth. We remained in this position for half an hour, during which time there was a
brisk fire on our right. When the firing became general we were ordered to pull down
the fence and advance into the field about 40 yards, when the enemy immediately ad-
vanced to the edge of the woods and opened fire on our whole front. At the same time
a volley came from the woods on our left. We returned their fire briskly, and after
holding our position for some time it became evident, from the destructive fire on our left
that they were endeavoring to flank us. As we could gain nothing from the position which
we then occupied, we retired to the cover of the woods, where we retained our position,
firing with good effect until our ammunition was nearly exhausted and we found our-
selves again being flanked on our left. We then moved to the right into a clearing
beyond the woods and took a position facing the enemy. At this point there was a slight
cessation of the enemy's fire, and we judged that they were being re-enforced. It was
then that I first learned that the lieutenant-colonel commanding (J. J. De Forest) had been
carried from the field badly wounded, and the major having been shot in the early part
of the action, I being senior captain, was in command of the regiment. I immediately
took command, and not liking the position we then occupied (the enemy, having pos-
session of the battery on our right, were shelling our position, while we had no means of
retaliating), I ordered them to the rear of the camp of the 98th Regiment. In this posi-
tion we did some good execution, but our batteries in front having been captured by the
enemy, and as we were in some danger of sharing the same fate, I ordered the men into
the rifle pits on the right, and in rear of the slashing in front of Couch's headquarters,
from which we were afterwards driven by the overpowering numbers of the enemy.
Our loss. * * * is killed, 26; wounded, 90; missing, 22; total, 138." (O R Ser I
Vol. XI, part I, pp. 930-931.)

From report of Col. Jonathan S. Belknap, (comd'g 85th New York, Palmer's brigade) :

"According to an order received from you the regiment was placed in the rifle pits at
the left of the redoubt, near Gen. Casey's headquarters. Our fire was reserved until the
regiments of this brigade sent out to the slashing in front of us had been driven back and
three rebel regiments (afterward known to be Rode's brigade) had advanced into the
open field in front of us. We then delivered a continuous and deadly fire until they halted,
wavered, and fell back. Their color bearer was several times shot down, and when they
retreated to the slashing they left their colors, with their dead and wounded. Up to this
point our loss was small and the men in the best of spirits and perfectly cool. If our
flank had been properly protected we could have held our position. About this time it
became evident that the design of the enemy was to mass his forces on both our flanks
and turn them. I dispatched a messenger to your headquarters to see what the rebel force
in that direction was. He reported that the 81st New York was being driven back by
two regiments of the enemy, who were advancing toward your headquarters. The same
messenger also reported that the rebel flag was planted on the rifle pits on the right of the
redoubt, near the Richmond road. The guns at the redoubt had been abandoned for
fifteen minutes. We were thus completely flanked and could hope for no support, for
there was not a regiment of our troops in sight. Under these circumstances I ordered
my regiment to fall back to the road in front of our encampment. Being still desirous
of holding our position as long as possible, and seeing the danger of being surrounded
was not so great as I had supposed, I ordered the men into the rifle pits again. They
obeyed with alacrity. We held our position fifteen minutes longer, and retired only under
imminent danger of being surrounded. The rebel flag was then floating over your head-
quarters; also in the immediate vicinity of Gen. Casey's headquarters, on our right. The
heads of the flanking columns of the rebels having thus enveloped our lines, and being
exposed to a very heavy cross-fire, I deemed it best to have the men to fall back under the
best cover they could find. A large portion of the regiment rallied in the first piece of
woods in rear of our camp, under command of Capt. Clark, and formed on the left of the
81st. Deeming the position insecure, Capt. Clark ordered the men to fall back to the
first slashing and form near the rifle pits in front of Couch's division." (O. R Ser. I,
Vol. XI, part I, pp. 931-932.)

@Rhode Island Jack Here's a link to a really interesting article detailing the loading of the 139 sick and wounded men and the trip of the Daniel Webster from City Point with the men aboard. It includes names of the men who died prior to departure and along the way and mentions that several surgeries were completed during the voyage.

http://www.nytimes.com/1862/08/01/n...aniel-webster-new-york-july-21-1862-city.html

And images of John Syng Dorsey Cullen and Richard Brooke Maury, the Confederate surgeons listed as having received the Daniel Webster and signers of the list of ill/wounded on behalf of the CS.
JSD Cullen.jpg

John Syng Dorsey Cullen
CSA Surgeon Richard Brooke Maury.JPG

Richard Brooke Maury

Last edited:
Yes.....my relative is Orin J. Fitch. I have samples of military records showing Orren, Oren and Owen as well as the correct Orin J. He is fairly easy to sort out because of his age...41 upon enlistment. Quite old , especially in the early stage of the war, 1861.

I was unaware of the Onedia Business Directory. What exactly do the lists represent? Deeds? Interested in knowing.

Thanks....I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge available on this site.

Here's the business directory at archive.org that's a little easier to scroll through. It's a directory of people/businesses usually organized by town or township. It might list name, business/occupation, and and maybe an address. Along the lines of a phone book, if you're old enough to remember those. :happy: There's a key on page 139 to this one and information about the area and other misc in the earlier pages.

https://archive.org/details/gazetteerbusines06chil

Last edited:
Back