Hello from the Bay Area

bmuhtro

Cadet
I would like to hear what other members think about this question: When Southern states seceded, was there any sentiment in the North to just "let them go!" After 40 years of worrying whether the other side (N or S) would have more senators, if the South seceded, that would no longer be an issue. Sort of like a divorce. Did any newspaper support letting the South leave wihout a fight?

I'd also like to know what kind of music the soldiers had in camp, fiddles, flutes,? Tune names? Especially if there is any contemporary report of a soldier playing a concertina, I'd like to know about it.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Welcome! Yes, there was a substantial 'let them go' sentiment- until the rebels attacked Fort Sumter.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
I would like to hear what other members think about this question: When Southern states seceded, was there any sentiment in the North to just "let them go!" After 40 years of worrying whether the other side (N or S) would have more senators, if the South seceded, that would no longer be an issue. Sort of like a divorce. Did any newspaper support letting the South leave wihout a fight?

I'd also like to know what kind of music the soldiers had in camp, fiddles, flutes,? Tune names? Especially if there is any contemporary report of a soldier playing a concertina, I'd like to know about it.
@bmuhtro ,

You might want to check out the two-volume set, Northern Editorials On Secession, edited by Cecil Perkins, Ph.D.

In the section labeled VIII. Peaceable Separation, begins with editorials of the same topic beginning on page 331.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Pete Longstreet

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Hi and welcome from Connecticut and the Longstreet forum. There's many threads and posts on secession, feel free to join the discussions.

I think it was the will of Abraham Lincoln. Remove Lincoln and the north may have just said "let them go". His will to reunite the Union was unbreakable.