Impressions 'Haversack Knot'

you all roll your own cigarettes- I usually smoke a pipe at events, but I have rolled some using cartridge paper a la the zouave on the ZigZag packets
use only wood matches- Yes
no nylon thread in your cotton clothes- Yes, but it's wool, mostly
shoelaces (yikes)- Don't understand what your saying. Shoes had laces.
no candy bars, cough drops, no modern prescription medications- Correct
only cobbler made shoes - Yes
no reproduction firearms - Mine are reproductions, but modern markings removed
no recycled lead for ammo - Again, not understanding
all food foraged and prepared authentically - Correct
no toilet paper on rolls and you surely carry a bar of lye soap just to name a few - Correct

God forbid that he uses something plastic in reenacting - I think he would.

I mean, that is basic reenacting bud. Ignorance is one thing, but doing something you know isn't correct historically is something I don't understand at all.
My reply is stated above except to add ignorance is in the eye of the beholder. What started out as a solution has been blown way out of proportion. Judge as you wish as I won't loose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the recommendations, I think i'm going to fall back on folding it over sewing it tight.
And remember, the wars out there. Not in the forum sections. :wink:

Thanks again!
Good luck with it, sew it tight it will work. Don't pay any mind to that, it really is a friendly place around here. Hope you join in in some of the discussions and update us on your reenacting activities. Feel free to come and ask any questions you have. There are several experienced reenactors here that are happy to help.

Thanks all for the recommendations, I think i'm going to fall back on folding it over sewing it tight.
And remember, the wars out there. Not in the forum sections. :wink:

Thanks again!

I found sewing through three layers of haversack strap extremely difficult, until I managed to get a Carpet Needle. Those lil thin ones in yer mom's sewing basket will not do the job.

Yes, I'm a short arse like you ... 5' 7" on a good day with a following wind (but no built-up brogans) :D

I’m with the fellows on sewing as being the best solution (if you want to maintain as much authenticity as possible). The war was four years, I’m sure there were lads who grew during that time as well, so we should always ask first “how would they have done it?”

I think some of the animosity comes from the use of the word “farb”. Again, I’m with captaindrew on trying to be authentic, but the use of that word does often turn off those not of the campaigner or progressive persuasion. I view it as slightly more useful than replying to items of questionable quality for sale with a silly gif or an “lol”.

I am 100% certain parts of my kit are not authentic and I’m not even aware of it, let alone why. History is a constant learning process for us here in the present. Let’s try to educate without judgment. Others’ mileage may vary.

To make a temporary adjustment, put a fold in the strap (on the back side of your body where it won't interfere with other equipment), and tie a piece of twine around the fold. Or use a spare leather shoelace.

You don't need to sew through three layers to make a permanent change. Just fold the strap together and sew through both layers - let the folded portion flap. Use a sewing machine. If you want to be ultra-authentic, use a hand-cranked one :smile:.

Take the time to sew it. I did my haversack that way to keep it up on my hip. Use an awl, a large needle, and waxed thread if you can.

Back