Grant Feeds His Army

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
nashville tn dec 1863 hardtack and other supplies heading to army.jpg

Nashville, TN December 1863
Left to right: Rob Roy, Belle Peoria, Irene, Revelice, Palestine, Lizzie Martin, Mercury.​

Photo courtesy University of Missouri - St Louis

While trying to find additional info about this photo, I came across a book 'Tinclads in the Civil War' by Myron J. Smith, Jr
He mentions there were 24 steamers in Nashville on December 11th, which grew to 35 by the 13th. If this photo was taken during this event, we are seeing a very small portion of the boats and unloaded cargo.

Also, the St Louis website states "Hard tack in boxes on levee. It is reported that this photograph was taken by a Confederate spy and turned up after the Civil War."
I am skeptical about this last comment considering the photographic equipment of the time - anyone seen evidence to back the spy claim?

almost looks like a drawing. look at the lines meaning to be smoke coming off the 4th and 5th stacks from the right. find any info on B. Roy? name top left. RAB Roy? or is that just the first ship?

View attachment 319373
Nashville, TN December 1863
Left to right: Rob Roy, Belle Peoria, Irene, Revelice, Palestine, Lizzie Martin, Mercury.​

Photo courtesy University of Missouri - St Louis

While trying to find additional info about this photo, I came across a book 'Tinclads in the Civil War' by Myron J. Smith, Jr
He mentions there were 24 steamers in Nashville on December 11th, which grew to 35 by the 13th. If this photo was taken during this event, we are seeing a very small portion of the boats and unloaded cargo.

Also, the St Louis website states "Hard tack in boxes on levee. It is reported that this photograph was taken by a Confederate spy and turned up after the Civil War."
I am skeptical about this last comment considering the photographic equipment of the time - anyone seen evidence to back the spy claim?

Baton Rouge photographer A.D. Lytle did work for the cofederate secret service during the union occupation by photographing camps, gun boats and other subjects of interest to the confederacy.

Back