Lemme guess, Gary. You've seen one and are thinking about purchasing it, but you suspect it's a fake. Never heard of one, but can't say there wasn't one. Now's the time for the experts to emerge from the woodwork. Wait a second. You are one!
Ole
Naw Ole. I read about one today in one of Ambrose Bierce's short fictional stories. I was wondering if there is any historical basis behind it. It's easy enough to install a set trigger into a gun and to swap out the sights, but the question is was it done? Unless it was blued, the glare from a shiny barrel would be a killer on a sharpshooter's eye.
Gary, I've never heard of an M1861 or 63 w/ either; that said we have a tendency to hear Springfield and immedietly think M1861 series. In that period any armory manufactured arm was a Harpers Ferry or Springfield. So it might easily have been a M1841/45 etc but my own belief would put it at an M1855 rifle as some w/ very advanced sights were issued to men in his neck of the woods. To a man who may or may not have known different mistaking a 55 for a 61 would be quite logical.
I know the story you are referencing and believe Bierce was probably being a bit fast & free w/ fiction...