Gettysburg Reenactment 2019

luinrina

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I was wondering if anyone already has confirmed dates of next year's Gettysburg Reenactment? Or when I can expect dates to be confirmed? I've been searching online but so far haven't found anything more concrete than July 2019.

I'm asking because I would love to attend next year. I'm planning a trip to Virginia, Antietam and Gettysburg, and my current agenda allots a whole weekend for the reenactment. :smile:

Any tips on where to get tickets (Do I need tickets if I'm a visitor/tourist?) and how much they approximately cost would be very welcome as well.

Thanks very much in advance!

Lu

I was wondering if anyone already has confirmed dates of next year's Gettysburg Reenactment? Or when I can expect dates to be confirmed? I've been searching online but so far haven't found anything more concrete than July 2019.

I'm asking because I would love to attend next year. I'm planning a trip to Virginia, Antietam and Gettysburg, and my current agenda allots a whole weekend for the reenactment. :smile:

Any tips on where to get tickets (Do I need tickets if I'm a visitor/tourist?) and how much they approximately cost would be very welcome as well.

Nice to see such good planning well in advance!

The dates probably aren't set yet, but a safe bet would be that it would be the weekend of July 5-7. Also, yes, you would need tickets. I would just look at the info for 2018. It would give you an idea of the dates and ticket prices.

https://www.gettysburgreenactment.com/reenactors/event-schedule/

I have some questions regarding the current schedule:

1. There's the battle on Sunday at 3 p.m. Afterwards nothing. Does that mean once the battle finishes (probably around 4 p.m. I would guess) the reenactment is over and everyone starts leaving?

2. Saturday evening at 8 p.m. there's a Reenactor Camp Dance. Any chance a lone visitor can attend? :wub:

3. The Friday program has two events (Spies and the Pinkerton Agency talk about their Civil War successes at 1 p.m.; A Confederate soldier tells his story of his Civil War adventure at 3 p.m.) that I would love to see but I won't be in Gettysburg until Friday night. Do you think there's a chance these two might be repeated on Saturday or Sunday, they just haven't been included in the schedule?

I have some questions regarding the current schedule:

1. There's the battle on Sunday at 3 p.m. Afterwards nothing. Does that mean once the battle finishes (probably around 4 p.m. I would guess) the reenactment is over and everyone starts leaving?

2. Saturday evening at 8 p.m. there's a Reenactor Camp Dance. Any chance a lone visitor can attend? :wub:

3. The Friday program has two events (Spies and the Pinkerton Agency talk about their Civil War successes at 1 p.m.; A Confederate soldier tells his story of his Civil War adventure at 3 p.m.) that I would love to see but I won't be in Gettysburg until Friday night. Do you think there's a chance these two might be repeated on Saturday or Sunday, they just haven't been included in the schedule?
Once Sunday's battle is over the event is pretty much over. Do you plan on coming to the dance dressed in period? You can register as a civilian reenactor although you'll have to be affiliated with a unit. As far as the talks I'd keep checking the schedule, it's a long way off and subject to change. Most likely whoever is giving these talks will be milling about the event for the weekend talking up their topics.

Thank you!

Do you plan on coming to the dance dressed in period?
No. I'll be your typical tourist simply visiting a reenactment (the first I'll visit).

I've seen a video of a camp dance where the 2nd North Carolina band played (it was the 150th Gettysburg I believe) and thought I'd like to experience that myself personally. Then I read somewhere that these camp dances are only for reenactors so I thought I'd ask whether a tourist even had a chance to attend without registering as a reenactor.

Thank you!

No. I'll be your typical tourist simply visiting a reenactment (the first I'll visit).

I've seen a video of a camp dance where the 2nd North Carolina band played (it was the 150th Gettysburg I believe) and thought I'd like to experience that myself personally. Then I read somewhere that these camp dances are only for reenactors so I thought I'd ask whether a tourist even had a chance to attend without registering as a reenactor.
The dance is always a good time. Will be a little different this time, word has it last year was the last Gettysburg event after many years for the 2nd South Carolina band. The dance is for reenactors only and in period dress although I've seen a few people around in modern civilian clothes, I'm sure it's possible to be there if you ask the right person.

Thank you!

Maybe if you wanted to hang with us Rebels in camp we could smuggle you through the blockade. :D

I am thinking about attending Gettysburg next year myself. :smile:
Eager to get back into reenacting.

Checking flights now, and if I order a few months in advance, there are direct flights Oslo-Newark for as low as $ 140.. I live just an hour from the airport, and considering its only 7-8 hours flight time too, it's not really a big deal to travel over. :bat:

Last edited:
I am thinking about attending Gettysburg next year myself. :smile:
Eager to get back into reenacting.
Would be great meeting you there! :smile: I already bought my tickets online and am looking forward to it. :D

Checking flights now, and if I order a few months in advance, there are direct flights Oslo-Newark for as low as $ 140.. I live just an hour from the airport, and considering its only 7-8 hours flight time too, it's not really a big deal to travel over. :bat:
$ 140!? :eek: That's quite a bargain! :thumbsup:

Would be great meeting you there! :smile: I already bought my tickets online and am looking forward to it. :D $ 140!? :eek: That's quite a bargain! :thumbsup:

That would be nice. Probably others from this forum that are going, so maybe set up a civilian CWT camp.
We have a cheap arliner in Norway that operate with such prices all the time to destinatons in Europe, USA and inland.

Does anyone know how far approx. the bleachers are going to be from the farthest parts of the reenacted battle(s)? My dad would lend me one of his field glasses but I can‘t decide which ones to take - the small light ones or the big heavier ones with which I can see farther.

I also asked this in the travel forum. Mods, please delete if double posting is not wanted. I’m hoping for a reply before I travel back home on January 1st. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know how far approx. the bleachers are going to be from the farthest parts of the reenacted battle(s)? My dad would lend me one of his field glasses but I can‘t decide which ones to take - the small light ones or the big heavier ones with which I can see farther.

I also asked this in the travel forum. Mods, please delete if double posting is not wanted. I’m hoping for a reply before I travel back home on January 1st. Thanks in advance!
At the 2019 location the bleachers are close to most of the action if it's set up the same way they had it the year before last, the last time it was there.

Back