Gettysburg Pics -- McPherson's ridge guide station

ole blue light

Private
Thought I would post a few of my favorite pics of the guide station on McPherson's ridge. Personally, haven't seen many pictures of this building from various angles.

I like spending time on this part of the field--it was the scene of so much activity and so many personal stories of valor.

Hope you enjoy these:

guide station.JPG
guide station day 1.JPG
guide station fall.JPG

Nice pics! I like that area of the battlefield, too. Of course, I've almost gotten run over on the Chambersburg Pike more than once as I go across to see Reynolds and Buford, but I like the guide station--it's quaint.

Nice pics! I like that area of the battlefield, too. Of course, I've almost gotten run over on the Chambersburg Pike more than once as I go across to see Reynolds and Buford, but I like the guide station--it's quaint.
Hi, Pam. Glad you liked the pics.

Can identify with the trials and tribulations of crossing the pike. Try doing it while leading a tour group sometime :frantic:

Nice Pic's

I wonder why the both of those stations closed down.....????
Thanks for your kind words.

The station in the pics is still functional as a bathroom stop and limited info center. I often see someone from the park service at the station on Chambersburg Pike directing visitors during the busy weekends.

As for serving as a guide station, the hiring of all guides has been centralized in the new visitors center. Cant remember when that station stopped serving as a center for hiring guides. It has been quite awhile.

guide station.jpg

**not sure where I found this picture, may have been on Michael Waricher's FB page**

I know the rest rooms are still available, but like you said It's been a number of years since guides were there....Even in the old visitors center the tour guides were centralized..
Have been going to Gettysburg for over 40 years...I could be wrong, but I seem to remember being able to hire a guide from the Chambersburg Pike station even after the old visitors center was in existence.

Not certain about that as my memory isnt real reliable anymore. Maybe someone else has a better recollection.

Back