Gettysburg 2018 - Kaboom...!

Thanks for posting this excellent video! Amazing to see the turnout of Artillery units!
One question: In this reenactment and virtually all films of the period, the guns fire in sequence, from one end of the line to the other. Is that representative of actual practice?

Thanks for posting this excellent video! Amazing to see the turnout of Artillery units!
One question: In this reenactment and virtually all films of the period, the guns fire in sequence, from one end of the line to the other. Is that representative of actual practice?

I know you didn't ask me but I can say that volley fire was discouraged as it left multiple guns unloaded at the same time and it made it hard to see if your shots were on target. Generally, fire wouldn't have been that rapid even if done down the line - unless directly attacked by infantry two shots per minute per gun would have been typical.

Last edited:
So the elusive Confederate artillery was there after all - seriously, I think the only time we saw the Confederate guns was when they were being pulled into place by the tow vehicles. I can't believe where they had you guys placed - out of sight for most if not all of the event. I feel your pain on that - we have been there also, stuck out of sight. Not fun when you go through all the expense and work of bringing out the guns and they place you where they might as well just had the fireworks guys set off charges since all anyone could see was a boom and smoke...

I would doubt it.

For films, it looks good on camera...

For reenactments, there are many at the Officer's level with a head as big as a 32-pdr shot (and about as dense) - that like to show off with all the various types of battery/section firings. My son is our Captain, frequently he is a section commander and occasionally a battery commander. His opinion is that he will do a few battery/section firings, but for the most part turns it over to the section commanders or gunners to have fun and burn as much or as little powder as they want.

Brings back some memories of the 125th of Gettysburg.

These days, the guys I hang with shoot the artillery live. Yup, we don't pretend about it, it's live fire. Check out the North South Skirmish Association. There's even a guy shooting a 30lber and another a Whitworth, and yup, no blanks. :D

@Viper21, very impressive !
I love the follow-up Rebel Yell.

For films, it looks good on camera...

I know you didn't ask me but I can say that volley fire was discouraged as it left multiple guns unloaded at the same time and it made it hard to see if your shots were on target. Generally, fire wouldn't have been that rapid though even if done down the line - unless directly attacked by infantry two shots per minute per gun would have been typical.
Party poopers ! :frown:

Just kidding guys, thanks for enlightening us on actual artillery tactics. :thumbsup:

Absolute Fantastic Video. If you multiply each boom by $55 you will get the total cost of powder and primer, and that doesn't even count the cost of the gun, caisson, trailers to get the there, fuel to get them there, Oh and the truck to haul the trailer that carries the gun that goes BOOM.

So the elusive Confederate artillery was there after all - seriously, I think the only time we saw the Confederate guns was when they were being pulled into place by the tow vehicles. I can't believe where they had you guys placed - out of sight for most if not all of the event. I feel your pain on that - we have been there also, stuck out of sight. Not fun when you go through all the expense and work of bringing out the guns and they place you where they might as well just had the fireworks guys set off charges since all anyone could see was a boom and smoke...

Yes, that was pretty bad coordination. The 150th was a much better show all considered.

Brings back some memories of the 125th of Gettysburg.

These days, the guys I hang with shoot the artillery live. Yup, we don't pretend about it, it's live fire. Check out the North South Skirmish Association. There's even a guy shooting a 30lber and another a Whitworth, and yup, no blanks. :D

Man, what I'd do to join y'all for an afternoon. I'd be #5 all day for sure or some other type of gopher. Lucky dog you.

Back