General Tourism Hazards

Story

1st Lieutenant
Authorities say a man was rescued after a tree that fell during high winds trapped him inside a portable toilet at Gettysburg National Military Park in south-central Pennsylvania.

The Barlow Volunteer Fire Department said on its Facebook page that the crew was called to Little Round Top shortly before 4 p.m. Friday. Assistant Chief Joe Robinson told the York Daily Record that they found a tree atop a vehicle but no one inside, and park rangers then told them the tree had trapped a man in the portable toilet.

Robinson said crews treated it like a car entrapment, cutting away the tree with a chain saw and then cutting the portable toilet open with another saw.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...battlefield-prisoner-in-port-a-potty/2799516/

Wow. That sounds like a terrible way to spend your day at the battlefield - trapped inside a port-a-pottie. :roflmao:

@Gettysburg Guide #154 did you know about this? Was it your tour? :D

What do you even say to someone when they emerge from the clutches of the dreaded port-a-pottie? Are you ok? How was it in there?

I could never keep a straight face. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Hopefully, the unfortunate victim has an excellent sense of humor and was able to laugh about it after it was all over?

I can only imagine - and don't want to. It's like a climbing trip to City of Rocks National Reserve in the high desert of southern Idaho. Most of the climbs are right off the road - as are the very convenient field toilets. But going into one of those after a few hours baking in the August sun inspires some real creativity in figuring out options.

looked like some pretty severe weather! The goomer is lucky the toilet wasn’t knocked over, lest he’d be needing some heavy duty scrubbing!

I think that this is the area
Capture.JPG

Wow. That sounds like a terrible way to spend your day at the battlefield - trapped inside a port-a-pottie. :roflmao:

@Gettysburg Guide #154 did you know about this? Was it your tour? :D

What do you even say to someone when they emerge from the clutches of the dreaded port-a-pottie? Are you ok? How was it in there?

I could never keep a straight face. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Hopefully, the unfortunate victim has an excellent sense of humor and was able to laugh about it after it was all over?
I passed the site (and yes it is the place pictured by infomanpa) the next day on a tour. It appeared that a large branch had fallen on and severely damaged the outer structure of the booth, basically crushing about half of it. Having not heard anything about it, I assumed it had occurred overnight when it was empty. Indeed I thought anyone who had been inside would have bee severely injured, if not killed. (I have known at least two people in my life who were killed by falling tree limbs, albeit not in a portable toilet.) Only when I arrived home and my wife told me that the event had been on the local news, did I understand that someone was trapped inside. I never heard anything "official" but my impression is that the person was not hurt in a serious way.

A couple years ago in a state park near me a young man was camping...about 11pm he made a Facebook post about how he thought he had his life turned around and about 12:30 storm blew a tree on his camper and killed him.

The social media post he made that nite made it seem rather surreal.

Yearly Hazard notice:

Another reminder for anyone visiting Deep South sites ... even this time of year ... don't ignore the wasp threat.

NEVER look into a cannon barrel !
National Park, local town square, or anywhere.

Wasps have been very active since last month, ( I even saw a few in late March).
They love to nest in cannons year round, but this time of year they are "waking-up" and flying around everywhere.

For those unfamiliar ... a wasp "sting" is something to be feared.
And a wasp sting is not even close to a little mosquito "bite".

Just a little more advice .

:smile:

I passed the site (and yes it is the place pictured by infomanpa) the next day on a tour. It appeared that a large branch had fallen on and severely damaged the outer structure of the booth, basically crushing about half of it. Having not heard anything about it, I assumed it had occurred overnight when it was empty. Indeed I thought anyone who had been inside would have bee severely injured, if not killed. (I have known at least two people in my life who were killed by falling tree limbs, albeit not in a portable toilet.) Only when I arrived home and my wife told me that the event had been on the local news, did I understand that someone was trapped inside. I never heard anything "official" but my impression is that the person was not hurt in a serious way.
Thanks for the extra info.

Man, that sounds just awful, being nearly crushed by a tree, trapped in a port-a-potty, and getting your car totaled all at the same time. At least it’s a good story though and hopefully insurance will cover the damages!

Back