Longstreet General Longstreet's walking stick

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
General Longstreet's walking stick. Formerly (maybe currently?) on display at the Atlanta History Center, courtesy of the Gen. James Longstreet Chapter, UDC. From the Longstreet Society

22448163_10155711205931838_5770209738406346825_n.jpg

That is a pretty neat cane. I have seen only a few canes with human faces. I have seen a GAR cane with a state official's head and face on it. It looks like it is Ivory. I have seen a lot of pipe's carved to look like soldier's and even Lincoln. That is a very neat looking cane. Something to remember. Thanks for posting this @Stiles/Akin! I would like to see this cane. I collect them, and I also use them too.

I just found a site where you can purchase items made from "witness" trees at Gettysburg. One of them is the Longstreet Tree. Before you become upset at such a notion, this is the Longstreet Tree in winter before nature claimed it by storm. Pictured in the background is the Snyder Farmhouse. As I understand it I could purchase a pen, personalized nameplate, etc. made from this very tree. What do you think of this @Stiles/Akin, @mofederal, @FarawayFriend and @War Horse? You've got to check this site out! The website address is http://www.gettysburgsentinels.com

WitnessTree1-2003.jpg

I just found a site where you can purchase items made from "witness" trees at Gettysburg. One of them is the Longstreet Tree. Before you become upset at such a notion, this is the Longstreet Tree in winter before nature claimed it by storm. Pictured in the background is the Snyder Farmhouse. As I understand it I could purchase a pen, personalized nameplate, etc. made from this very tree. What do you think of this @Stiles/Akin, @mofederal, @FarawayFriend and @War Horse? You've got to check this site out! The website address is http://www.gettysburgsentinels.com

View attachment 161494
I missed an opportunity to purchase a walking stick made from the Longstreet witness tree :frown: What was I thinking?

I missed an opportunity to purchase a walking stick made from the Longstreet witness tree :frown: What was I thinking?

I may have to give in to temptation and order something. @Southern Unionist immediately said I should before I told him how much some of the items would cost. I probably should have skipped that part. :sneaky:

Well, those who know me know also that I can resist everything, except temptation...

So I would be inclined to spend money on an object like a paper weight or pen, but at first, @Eleanor Rose and/or @War Horse tell me please, why was that tree named "The Longstreet Tree"? I know that probably you both will roll your eyes at my bloody ignorance, but that can't be helped. Enlighten me, please...

The tree was of course on the Gettysburg battlefield. It was destroyed by lightning. What remained began to be shapped into collectibles. Really cool concept.

Yeah, I thought so... I had hoped there was a story about Longstreet and that particular tree. That he maybe carved his intials in the tree or something...

As @War Horse said, the Longstreet “Witness Tree” was there during the battle at Gettysburg. This tree was standing near the Snyder Farm on Confederate Avenue. General Longsteet’s men massed for attack at this spot. The Gettysburg Museum of History has a large piece of the tree at the museum. The site where the Longstreet “Witness Tree” was located is considered one of Gettysburg’s most iconic historic spots on the field.

My heart and head immediately jumped to your line of thought @FarawayFriend. I hoped there was a more personal connection to the man himself.

What a find :smile:. It's not as cool as a Longstreet walking stick from the Longstreet witness tree. To me it's a treasure, $30, no idea of its origin or what it's worth. Doesn't matter, I love it. The collection continues to grow :smile:

View attachment 162342

A treasure indeed! Thanks for sharing! I have a teddybear wearing a Longstreet tee shirt, but somehow that doesn't seem to measure up! :giggle: Maybe I'll share it later anyway.

Back