Longstreet General Longstreet Coin

g57675.jpg

After seeing this pictured on The Longstreet Society's Facebook page, I searched for this coin. I found it for sale on a site called Numista. There's probably a story behind it, but I can't find it. Do you know anything about this coin @War Horse or @FarawayFriend?

Last edited by a moderator:
g57675.jpg

After seeing this pictured on The Longstreet Society's Facebook page, I searched for this coin. I found it for sale on a site called Numista. There's probably a story behind it, but I can't find it. Do you know anything about this coin @War Horse or @FarawayFriend?
No idea, but I want one. Presents are greatly appreciated. :smile:

The medal is $9.99 on eBay.

They also have a limited edition "bonded bronze" plaque of the Longstreet statue at G'burg ($75.00):

Hah, I like the plaque better than the actual statue!!

This coin is of course a token that can not be directly used as money. However I have no further info. But there also are actual coins. Including this Liberian $20 coin (though it frequently issues a ton of strange new coins) of which, according to the entry on colnect.com, some 20,000 were minted in 2001 as part of their ACW series.

20-Dollars-General-James-Longstreet.jpg
20-Dollars-General-James-Longstreet-back.jpg

Wow, that's interesting! Great find!

This coin is of course a token that can not be directly used as money. However I have no further info. But there also are actual coins. Including this Liberian $20 coin (though it frequently issues a ton of strange new coins) of which, according to the entry on colnect.com, some 20,000 were minted in 2001 as part of their ACW series.

20-Dollars-General-James-Longstreet.jpg
20-Dollars-General-James-Longstreet-back.jpg
Why on earth would Liberia have a coin with Longstreet on it???????

I asked myself the same thing. But then I thought Liberia dates back to the CW era and when they coined a CW series in memory of that, Longstreet could not easily be overlooked, most probably. My thoughts only, I know next to nothing about Liberia.
I just wonder why an African country would want to have a Confederate on any of their coins. :frantic:

Well, they made a series about the civil war and there were two sides to depict. Considering many others Longstreet is a pretty good choice - moderate, no fireeater, solid reputation, post-war career (Liberty Place, aye?) etc etc. Other Confederates in that series that I quickly found are Joe Johnston, Raphael Semmes, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and Stand Watie.

As said Liberia creates lots of series and many of them about parts of U.S. history. But also coins about German banknotes, about stuff like golden weddings and, being really good, about Star Trek.

Medals should be distinguished from coins. While the same technology is used to make a medal, it has no monetary value. The Liberian coin may be privately minted for that nation and is a coin with numismatic value. If it is silver, it is money.

Money and currency are two different things. Today we have currency but now I'm straying way off topic.

Back