General Alpheus S. Williams.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I am almost half way through Michigan's Civil War Citizan-General Alpheus S. William's. This made me wonder what forum members feel about General William's. I am not sure he should be considered a political appointee or not. He did see service in the Mexican American War, but not heave combat. He also had spent years in the Michigan Uniformed Milita. Still he had no formal military schooling. So far in the book he does not appear to be a bad division commander nor too bad as acting Corps Commander.

Well I still have 2/3 of the book to read.

I am almost half way through Michigan's Civil War Citizan-General Alpheus S. William's. This made me wonder what forum members feel about General William's. I am not sure he should be considered a political appointee or not. He did see service in the Mexican American War, but not heave combat. He also had spent years in the Michigan Uniformed Milita. Still he had no formal military schooling. So far in the book he does not appear to be a bad division commander nor too bad as acting Corps Commander.

Well I still have 2/3 of the book to read.

He is the only Division commander to have the same Division to the end of the war. (March 1862 to the grand review in May 1865.)

I have "From the Cannon's Mouth", his collection of letters from the war . I have read many parts of it , but not the entire book.It is very interesting . From this and other sources I would say he was often cautious . He was also not a West Pointer and wasn't a self-promoter , but I think he did a solid job in his position.

From his Gettysburg experience, I consider him low-key and capable, but (just like Kurt G stated) he did not promote himself and he did not graduate from West Point - two strikes against him. He personally led a bayonet charge at sunset on July 2 with Lockwood's brigade, under the personal eye of Meade. Williams also made the arrangements to drive the Confederates off of Culp's Hill on July 3.

When the 12th and 11th Corps were reformed as Hooker's 20th Corps. MG Carl Schurz and BG Adolph von Steinwehr leading the two divisions of 11th Corps were removed from command and Williams and Geary were kept to lead the 1st and 2nd divisions.

I just finished the chapter on Gettysburg. The chapter is fairly short, about 7 pages of text. It appears that William's did a fairly good job at Gettysburg. He seemed to make timely decisions.

Back