Genealogical detective work...

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
From my wife's genealogy work. The person in question is the "U.S. Marine" Pvt. Daniel B. Bostock, whom I suspect to have been in the Mississippi Marine Brigade rather than the real Marines... (Louisville KY area) I haven't been able so far to find him in USMC records, though I really doubt he's in there; I'm pretty sure he was MMB, which makes the record hunt a lot more challenging. :/

IMG_5328.jpg

Oh, wow! Please help me understand what I'm seeing here; not familiar with these. Is this saying that Allen J. Smith is a dependent of Daniel Bostock? Or is that a separate record?

Oh, wow! Please help me understand what I'm seeing here; not familiar with these. Is this saying that Allen J. Smith is a dependent of Daniel Bostock? Or is that a separate record?
No, the other men are separate, despite how it looks. They seem to have abandoned the printed guidelines on the card pretty quickly. What this tell you is that Daniel got a pension based on his service in the MMB, confirming your belief that he served there. I found a second card on him which had this info and a bit more - let me pull it for you.

DanielBostock2.jpg

This is not the card I intended but a better one with more info, similar to the other card I meant to show. Daniel's service dates and death date are here. You can see the pension number (307973) is the same as on the other card. You can order copies from the National Archives of his paperwork. This card uses the abbreviation MGB (Mississippi Gunboat Flotilla) instead of MMB - I don't know enough to know the difference (not my area) but I'm betting folks in the Naval War forum could if you don't already know yourself.

Back