Forrest Gen. N B Forrest had both shoulder bones broken

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
Daily Intelligencer, Jul. 15, 1865 -- page 2.jpg

That's a new one - thanks! Ow....went round and round like a pair of jeans in a clothes dryer... Think that was Forrest's own railroad, as a matter of fact. He'd been trying to persuade investors that the new railroads needed to be of uniform gauges and to get rid of the wooden rails because things just like that kept happening. Strangely, a lot of them opposed the idea!

The reason you have never heard of this is it's FAKE news yes even back then. Gen Forrest was involved in a train wreck but it wasn't in July 1865 it was in May and he was NOT injured and took command of the troops on the train to get it back on the track. On July 1st 1865 Gen Forrest was in route to Jackson to apply for a pardon.

The reason you have never heard of this is it's FAKE news yes even back then. Gen Forrest was involved in a train wreck but it wasn't in July 1865 it was in May and he was NOT injured and took command of the troops on the train to get it back on the track. On July 1st 1865 Gen Forrest was in route to Jackson to apply for a pardon.

Thanks! My head was about to explode trying to think why I didn't know that. I was about to go to the back of the house and dig through books.

Oh, thanks even more! :thumbsup: That incident you mention was the one I thought of but there's a lot of accidents Forrest had that few know about! Forrest was partner in the DeSoto/Tennessee railroad, though, wasn't he?

No way Gen Forrest didn't become the President of the Marion and Memphis till 1870.

Thanks uc, I was getting ready to mark Forrest down as one iron horse behind.

Thanks, I must admit that I had never heard of that either.

Oh, thanks even more! :thumbsup: That incident you mention was the one I thought of but there's a lot of accidents Forrest had that few know about! Forrest was partner in the DeSoto/Tennessee railroad, though, wasn't he?

He later found employment at the Selma-based Marion & Memphis Railroad and eventually became the company president. He was not as successful in railroad promoting as in war, and under his direction, the company went bankrupt. Nearly ruined as the result of the failure of the Marion & Memphis, Forrest spent his final days running a prison work farm on President's Island in the Mississippi River. There were financial failures across the country in the Panic of 1873. Forrest's health was in steady decline. He and his wife lived in a log cabin they had salvaged from his plantation.

That bankruptcy wasn't really Forrest's fault, though. Almost shot his good buddy Minor Meriwether over it! Meriwether told Forrest he was going to propose Memphis disband itself as a city to get out from under a load of bond debt - a huge amount of those bonds were held by Forrest and his company.

View attachment 135877
Alexandria gazette., July 15, 1865, Image 2

You have to remember that this one states "News by To-days Mail" this was way before UP AP and all the other P's we have today. Once one paper picked it up it went "viral" by 1865 standards

Back