Frederic E. Ray's Civil War Times Illustrated

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Frederic E. Ray Jr. illustrated many magazine covers for Civil War Times Illustrated. His art work helped many of us 'see' the Civil War when we were youths and his art work left a lasting impression on us. I bought this magazine at a book show today mostly for the cover art. Ray was a major expert on American Revolution uniforms.

fred.jpg

Ray is best known as the artist who helped develop the superhero look of Superman when he was the primary cover illustrator. Ray did help develop the entire 'superhero' look. Some of the soldiers Ray illustrated the covers of Civil War Times Illustrated with, resemble the "man of steel".

Superman14.jpg

Another set of uniform cards from years ago is by Dick S Von Schriltz. These were a ten set group of cards. Von Schriltz also did some wonderful uniform plates of West Point Cadets. The Von Schriltz uniform post cards are not at all bad, if one wants the full size uniform plates they are taken from cost a bit more but are worth obtaining for Civil War uniform hobbyists.

imagess.jpg

I still occasionally pick up a postcard. I was at a book show Saturday and could not resist this one for $1. Not even sure how old it is. Do not know who pained it. Not sure what to do with it other than stick it in with my uniform postcards.

post 1.jpg

Last edited:
Frederic E. Ray Jr. 1920 to 2001, also illustrated and drew a popular booklet about the Battle of Gettysburg called Gettysburg Sketches in 1939. During the war he sold his art to magazines and Yank. After WWII, he resumed his art career. He also wrote historical books. Oh Say Can You See (1970) and Alfred R. Waud Civil War Artist (1974). He drew his last comic in 1972. He was an expert on Revolutionary War uniforms and a consultant to the Smithsonian Institution. He also scripted Our Army At War, G.I. Combat and Our Fighting Forces. After retirement from comics he devoted his time to Historic Times, True Frontier, The West, and he designed medals and figurines for the Danbury Mint. Ray also wrote, illustrated and published historical booklets. His comics and art is highly sought after.

Last edited:
Another Frederic Ray cover. This one shows some of the skills Ray had as opposed to some his other covers.

ray 823.jpg

Back