Foto Friday 5-3

ARW

Sergeant
Monuments to our ancestors......Take a look at the monuments to regiments where your ancestors fought. This is the 143rd at McPhersons Farm in Gettysburg. Two brothers, Francis and Granville Furman fought here on July 1st. The second monument is at their location on Cemetery Ridge on July 2nd and 3rd.

DSCN9329.JPG

DSCN9367.JPG

My GGGrandfather's unit, the 3rd North Carolina, does not have an individual monument but the North Carolina monument is very moving. I am including the web site for Gettysburg Sculptures which has a description on the monument.
Regards
David
http://gettysburgsculptures.com/north_carolina_state_monument
1556908752496.png

The 53rd Ohio monument at Shiloh. Though under heavy attack and deserted by its Colonel at the most inopportune time, the junior officers and men fought valiantly.
Regards
David

1556915336947.png

front of monument)
OHIO
53d INFANTRY,
Commanded by
Col. J. J. APPLER,
Lt. Col. ROBT. A. FULTON,
HILDEBRAND'S (3d) BRIGADE,
SHERMAN'S (5th) DIVISION,
ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.
(back of monument)
This regiment formed here at 8 a.m., April 6, 1862,
but soon fell back across the ravine in the rear. [cont'd]
Its loss was 9 men killed; 1 officer and 32 men wounded; 2 men missing; total, 44. [NOTE* Next position for regiment was in woods on the east side of this [Rea] field. There, in line of battle facing west, the ì regiment assisted in repelling two of three attacks by the enemy ì (right flank of Cleburne's Confederate brigade). At about 9 ì a.m., the regiment retreated north across East Branch and rallied on Raith's brigade of McClernand's division, which was supporting ì Gen. Sherman's left flank east of Shiloh Church.

1556919832294.png

The only ancestor I have so far been able to document is Pvt. Jasper Blair of the 33d Alabama mentioned in my signature; WHY therefore is this Texas monument pictured?? It's simply because it stands somewhat incorrectly on the approximate position at Kennesaw Mountain's Cheatham Hill where Alabama regiments of Mark Lowrey's Brigade moved from a supporting position into the front line to succor Granbury's Texas Brigade, both part of Pat Cleburne's Division. As usual, Confederate regiments (nor even brigades nor divisions) have no individual markers; however, here at Kennesaw Mountain NBP local Eagle Scout troops have been placing signs like the one below in the park to mark positions of both Federal and Confederate brigades. The one pictured here is only a short walk into the woods behind the Texas Monument:

1556920282802.png

Last edited:
Monuments to our ancestors......Take a look at the monuments to regiments where your ancestors fought. This is the 143rd at McPhersons Farm in Gettysburg. Two brothers, Francis and Granville Furman fought here on July 1st. The second monument is at their location on Cemetery Ridge on July 2nd and 3rd.

View attachment 305627

View attachment 305631

Thanks for posting this! And many thanks to @rpkennedy for taking the time to show my wife and I around the Day 1 fields, pointing out this particular monument, and telling the story!

Here is a little known monument to 2 brave men who died serving their country.
Regards
David
1556925205182.png

Grave of two soldiers at Port Hudson State Historic Site, Louisiana. Plaque reads:
Port Hudson Peace Monument
Two Soldiers One Federal One Confederate
Re-Interred May 27, 1990

Back