Foto Friday 5/10

ARW

Sergeant
Looks like a good day to make some noise. Let's look at stuff going boom!!!!!!

19 (1280x853).jpg

DSCN0145.JPG

DSC01746.JPG

The National Park Service gun crew outside the NPS Visitor Center during the Vicksburg Sesquicentennial in July, 2013.

DSC01745.JPG

A look inside their display limber chest during the presentation.

DSC01747.JPG

These authentically-styled earthworks are nevertheless reproductions, standing on land that during the siege was actually between the lines.

DSC01749.JPG

You mean that wasn't a 'one off'?! Hopefully you'll tell your other half what an awesome shot she took :smile:

Smoke rings are not especially rare at reenactments. You can pretty much expect to see them at any event having a Battery or more of Artillery. It would be interesting to know if smoke rings occur more or less often in live-fire situations (any here experienced with live-fire that can share about that?).

It has occurred to me that photographers (some of them professional journalists) come to these events supposing and presenting that their photos are closely portraying the actuality of the CW. They are not. There is so very much that is different, perhaps smoke rings, but surely the abundance of older portly men, and dare I say women soldiers. This is not to condemn photographers for making the attempt -- we love it and don't stop -- but rather merely to point out that they innocently don't have a clue, and that few reenactors are motivated enough to step-up and advise them.

Smoke rings are not especially rare at reenactments. You can pretty much expect to see them at any event having a Battery or more of Artillery.
Well, that one was a first for me, obviously not a veteran like yourself.

I'm not sure photographers think they are portraying the actuality but, same as reenactors, giving people a sample of what things would have looked like or how they might have been experienced. I think it's great you guys are inclusive in the manner everyone is welcome to join in and take part. To get a taste of what it would have been like is surely valuable in terms of understanding. There is also the fact that there are not many photographs (or any) in existence of actual CW battles, only the aftermath. So photographers can make a valuable contribution in allowing people to see the action as it might have taken place.

Just a few thoughts on your thoughts :smile:

Back