Forrest, Nathan Bedford

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
It's a good speech and I'm glad he made it; however, I bet somebody wrote it for him. It's not exactly in his down home style.
TerryB,

You might be right, but I would like to believe that if he didn't write it, he did mean it. :smile:

Sincerely,
Unionblue

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
That sounds like a newspaper man might have gussied up the speech some. Forrest wasn't Jethro Bodine but he wasn't Cicero, either! However, he did have that sentiment. At one reunion he looked at the US flag with tears in his eyes and said, "I love it as I did in my youth, and I think you do, too."

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
After the battle of Selma and receiving word of Lee's surrender, Forrest and his good friend/aide Charles Anderson, took a ride. Forrest had his arm in a sling and a bandage around his head, having taken several saber cuts in the last battle. They spoke about the future, about the state of things, whether Forrest should follow other rebels to Mexico. And, they arrived at a fork in the road. Anderson asked which Forrest wanted to take. "If one road leads to Mexico and the other to hell, I don't care which I take," replied the general.