Forrest Featured Forrest Homecoming

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
image.jpg
I spent a wonderful time at the Forrest Boyhood Home raising money for the Garfield Park Confederate POW Monument in Indianapolis. We raised almost $1000 toward this project. A good day. The little dark plaque you see to the left of the photo on the barn commemorates the late Larry Crockerham a valued member here and instrumental to renovation of the Forrest Boyhood Home.

Larry was really a treasure. I still enjoy going back over his posts! He worked hard on that restoration project, really put a lot of heart into it. It's sure a nice place. Sometimes I wonder what Forrest would think if he happened to ride by! (Might move back in some day, never do know... :D)

Historic marker dedication highlights Forrest Homecoming
Wednesday, June 24, 2015
By Anthony S. Puca Sports Editor

2372814-L.jpg

"I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I now advise you to a course which I felt myself unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers, you can be good citizens.”

Those were the words that Confederate Lieutenant General Nathan Bedford Forrest spoke at his farewell address to his troops on May 9, 1865 at Gainesville, Alabama.

The exploits of the one of the greatest military minds of all-time are well documented and his popularity has not waned among his admirers who were out in a huge numbers at the boyhood home of "The Wizard of the Saddle" on Pyles Road at Chapel Hill on Saturday for the 13th Annual Forrest Homecoming.

Read more at:
http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/2207388.html

on private property and hidden by trees for the most part. There is a sub-division behind the property. Probably safe until a neighbor complains.

Unless there's something going on, there's really nothing there to see except the well-manicured grounds of the homeplace. I'd guess a few shrubs would help any problems (and frankly, make the photo ops more fun). I can see why the artillery firing might raise a few eyebrows. Hard on the wineglasses in the glass cabinet :smile:

Last edited:
Thank you, Ole. I was looking for my closeup that I took last year but couldn't find it. Larry was a Southern Christian Gentleman and his goodness and wisdom are missed at each return to the Forrest Home.
When I wrote and bought that plaque, I was kinda bummed out that Larry was gone. He was special to me as he was to everyone here at the time.

Somewhere, back there, Larry took me on a tour of Forrest's fighting retreat. It will remain one of my favorite exposures to Larry.

For a Tennessee frontier cabin, the Forrest's had a substantial dwelling.
A different perspective of the home including the smokehouse:
View attachment 72068
Photo courtesy of Brent Moore.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brent_nashville/8438026290/in/photostream/

That looks just lovely! As I understand it, when Forrest lived there the veranda in front wasn't there and the second story was added by later owners, who also moved the chimney around to the front and made it bigger. His dad had put in a loft, though, since the kids kept on coming! I know his house in Memphis was torn down long ago, but I wonder if the place in Hernando is still around? The picture I saw of it, taken around 1900...well, it looked about to fall down then. That one and this one were the only ones Sherman didn't burn! I usually defend him about being a pyro, but whenever he found a family place of Forrest's he got careless with his cigar... :cautious:

Back