First Sergeant - grade variation

Klaudly

Sergeant
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Location
Italy
Often looking at the photographs of the soldiers with the rank of first sergeant, I noticed that they don't sewing the stripes leaving only the diamond. I watched images of soldiers, on both sides use this practice, but mainly Union soldiers. The last picture I saw was this:
2ez3a5i.jpg

At this point, I have a question: Was there a regulation that allowed the soldiers with the rank of 'first sergeant' to omit the stripes? Or it was just a practice used in the field?
 
Last edited:
No it was not regulations to omit the strips. If my memory service me correctly regulation states that strips do not have to be worn on fatigue jacket (sack coat) but most volunteer units did because the sack coat was the only uniform coat they had.

You start to see more subdued rank in mid 1863 and later. I wish I could find the order that was issued before the Parade in Washington City ordering NCO to sew on trouser strips and strips. One soldier wrote home saying they used old sack coats for the trouser strips and stated that the stitches were awfully long.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top