Favorite battle

That Bloody Hill: Hilliard's Legion at Chickamauga. It was published by McFarland in January of this year. Thanks for asking!

I need to read this book seeing how my GG-Grandfather served in Hillard's Legion at Chickamauga. After meeting some distant relatives who actually knew him when they were children and hearing the stories of the War and Chickamauga he told them, I'd reckon there was plenty Hilliard's Legion went through at Chickamauga to warrant a book.

The battles that most interest me (I hesitate to say favourite) are Monocacy, Gettysburg, Shiloh, and Franklin, in no particular order.

My interest in the Civil War was likely kindled by Walt Disney. I loved "Johnnie Shiloh" with Kevin Corcoran and Brian Keith. It was later fanned into flames by "Killer Angels".

The battles that most interest me (I hesitate to say favourite) are Monocacy, Gettysburg, Shiloh, and Franklin, in no particular order.

My interest in the Civil War was likely kindled by Walt Disney. I loved "Johnnie Shiloh" with Kevin Corcoran and Brian Keith. It was later fanned into flames by "Killer Angels".
Disney movies were great as a kid Mosby's Marauders, Swamp Fox, The Scarecrow

Battle of New Market.

The Cadets of VMI have a warm spot in my heart.
P8232513.JPG

Bentonville. My great grandfather, Company E., 40th Regt/3rd artillery (Fighting as infantry at Bentonville) and his older brother 1st sgt., Company B. 6th Mississippi Infantry fought there together. The 6th Mississippi of the Aot had been sent to North Carolina to reinforce Joseph E. Johnston.

I’m curious to hear what your favorite battles to study are? I’d have to say the two I’m most interested in are Gettyburg and Antietam.
South mountain. Not well known fight by many. Lived for years about 1 mile from the battlefield, used to go up there all the time before it became more explored . Very lonely haunting place, I can imagine what the Confederate soldiers must have felt being there.

There are many battles I am yet to read up on, but my favourite of those I know of is the first one I really read up about when I was first researching the Civil War: The Battle of Poison Spring.
What really fascinated me was that the Confederate ranks were bolstered by Choctaw soldiers, as I was ignorant of the conflict and had no idea that different Native nations were fighting on either side, so I was interested to read more about their reasons for fighting and kind of went from there!

Been to Gettysburg over 150 times since 1966 and I am still learning things. So Gettysburg it is!

I have over 100 Gettysburg Books just Edwin Bearrs Fields of Honor for other battles.

Maybe it doesn't qualify as a battle, but Forrest's West Tennessee raid has been a favorite. With Morgan and Van Dorn, Forrest was part of a three pronged campaign to disrupt Union logistics and communications, and it was very successful indeed. It also produced one of Forrest's most unpredictable battles - Parker's Crossroads. These three raiders put a pretty good crick in Grant's neck!

Back