Favorite battle

For the Eastern Theater probably Antietam or the Wilderness & Spotsylvania.

In the Western Theater, if I had to choose one it would definitely be Franklin. There's something about the battle that makes it unique.... the tragedy of the whole affair and the ferocity of the battle.... kind of the symbolic death of the Army of Tennessee and the Confederacy.

I’m curious to hear what your favorite battles to study are? I’d have to say the two I’m most interested in are Gettyburg and Antietam.

Interesting question @P.B. Speegle! I hope a lot of members will respond. I continue to enjoy learning about Gettysburg, but I am fascinated by the Battle of the Wilderness. It was the first in Ulysses S. Grant's Overland Campaign, the terrain was a thick area of brush and my favorite Civil War general, Lieutenant General James Longstreet was severely wounded there by friendly fire.

I imagine most here will neither understand nor favor my favorite battle. This is partly because it is waaaay west of most of the big, pitched battles of the Eastern war. In addition, it is just purely difficult to understand. With that in mind, my favorite battle is the one waged in my home state of Missouri with home boys (plenty of them pretty rough and brutal) against the Kansas Jayhawker home boys (who were plenty rough and brutal in their own right.)

It is so complicated to figure out the war out here. Our ancestors were so busy just trying to survive. This overall theater of war (guerrilla versus jayhawker) is my favorite theater to study and discuss. I know I will have few followers in this matter.

Most favored, equally, Battles of:
Prairie Grove
Honey Springs
Fort DeRussey
Palmitto Ranch
Sabine Pass
Dove Creek
Mansfield
Pleasant Hill

Other battles that intrigue me, but can't be called a favored area of study, perhaps secondary favored battles
Nashville
Fort McAllister
Valverde
Kennesaw Mountain
Plymouth
Cherbourg
Siege of Petersburg
Mobile Bay

And here's two I like to study, whenever I can find information on them, and is extremely hard to find, as a test for the knowledge of everyone who'll bite. One should be easy for many, the other not so much, but the first is a hint to the second.
1. The Great Raid on Austin
2. the "Siege" of Matehuala
I just gotta throw those two out for fun to see what happens, I can't help myself.

More campaign than battles.

Siege of Morris Island. Still trying to find more information on it. I may write a short book on it.

I suppose if it was one battle alone, it would be Fredericksburg. That should never have been fought.

UCVrelics.com wrote: The other burg Vicksburg:D

Agree. The best book I've ever read on the Siege of Vicksburg is Ed Bearss' The Vicksburg Campaign, Vol. III.

Somehow, the great battles always seem to draw my attention because of their important impact on the war and the amount of intensive studies they have received. So I am talking about Shiloh, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and Chickamauga in particular and the great Overland battles including Wilderness and Spotsylvania.

Based on my amount of reading and number of days in the field,it would be Port Hudson,Chickamauga and Franklin in that order. I really have not read or toured much in the Eastern Theater.

Back