Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
The unit I am getting ready to join has said I might need to get civil war era eyeglasses. Here is my photo wearing my glasses. Would these work?

Profile for Stock.jpg

Search this site for other threads on eyeglasses--probably in the Reenactors Forum. Here are three from the bottom of this page (didn't even have to search):
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/eyeglasses-spectacles-a-question-for-reenactors.129273/
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/eyeglasses-worn-by-soldiers.109746/
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/eyeglasses.82739/

Eyeglasses of the Civil War period did not have those nose-gripping pieces that your glasses have--those are 20th+ century. Don't try to cut them off--I tried that once with an old pair of reading glasses and was left with very sharp edges (ouch!) and a broken frame. Period eyewear also has smaller frames.

I no longer (since my cataract surgery with lens implants) need glasses for distance vision (although I do need them to drive), but I do need reading/sewing glasses for close-up work. (We ladies do a lot of sewing and other close work at reenactments.) I was able to find, some years ago, some halfway decent reading glasses with period frames. Not the best, but at least more period than your modern eyewear.

If you absolutely cannot wear contact lenses (most people's solution), you can buy reproduction 19th century frames and have your prescription put in. You may have to search for an oculist who will do this, but many will. Unless your vision changes radically (in which case you may need medical intervention anyway), you should be able to get along with them for the next ten years.

If you can possibly manage to see well enough to march with your group without running into a tree, try to get along on the field without them, which is what most nearsighted Civil War soldiers did (see second reference above). After all, nobody back then had to pass a drivers license vision exam! Unless you plan to spend evenings reading outside your tent instead of socializing around the camp fire, you probably won't need closeup vision.

Eyewear is a sticky wicket within the reenactor community. If you can wear contact lenses, perhaps try them out. I've had a great deal of success, whereas others have not.

You're next best option is to go without. During the CW time period, the wearing of glasses was often viewed as a sign of weakness, so those with occular infirmities often did without. If you can see well enough NOT to be a hazard to yourself or others, then give it a shot.

If you're like me, however, blind as the proverbial bat, then get a pair of period correct frames and have your prescription put in them. I find them to be comfortable and no less affordable than regular eyewear. Stay away from transitions lenses or tinted sun glasses, however. They will be a source of unending ridicule.

Good luck, and have fun with your Pards!

If you're lucky, you might find a pair of original frames at a flea market. Make sure they are put together with screws, not rivets.

Search this site for other threads on eyeglasses--probably in the Reenactors Forum. Here are three from the bottom of this page (didn't even have to search):
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/eyeglasses-spectacles-a-question-for-reenactors.129273/
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/eyeglasses-worn-by-soldiers.109746/
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/eyeglasses.82739/

Eyeglasses of the Civil War period did not have those nose-gripping pieces that your glasses have--those are 20th+ century. Don't try to cut them off--I tried that once with an old pair of reading glasses and was left with very sharp edges (ouch!) and a broken frame. Period eyewear also has smaller frames.

I no longer (since my cataract surgery with lens implants) need glasses for distance vision (although I do need them to drive), but I do need reading/sewing glasses for close-up work. (We ladies do a lot of sewing and other close work at reenactments.) I was able to find, some years ago, some halfway decent reading glasses with period frames. Not the best, but at least more period than your modern eyewear.

If you absolutely cannot wear contact lenses (most people's solution), you can buy reproduction 19th century frames and have your prescription put in. You may have to search for an oculist who will do this, but many will. Unless your vision changes radically (in which case you may need medical intervention anyway), you should be able to get along with them for the next ten years.

If you can possibly manage to see well enough to march with your group without running into a tree, try to get along on the field without them, which is what most nearsighted Civil War soldiers did (see second reference above). After all, nobody back then had to pass a drivers license vision exam! Unless you plan to spend evenings reading outside your tent instead of socializing around the camp fire, you probably won't need closeup vision.
Basically I am blind without my glasses. I have had eye surgery on my right eye three times due to a torn retina. My glasses are fairly thick and am not sure they would be able to transfer my prescription to a smaller size without them being very thick. We shall see. I have a meeting with my unit this Saturday and will discuss this with them and see if others have successfully done this.

Check with your oculist, too, to find out what's possible.

I had the same problem prior to my cataract surgery (couldn't see the big E on the chart more than a foot away) and still have the issue of scar tissue on my right retina due to multiple retinal detachment surgeries. That was before I got into reenacting. At least I know where you're coming from!

One of the references I gave you above mentions thick lenses.

Have you ever talked with your ophthalmologist about contact lenses?

Check with your oculist, too, to find out what's possible.

I had the same problem prior to my cataract surgery (couldn't see the big E on the chart more than a foot away) and still have the issue of scar tissue on my right retina due to multiple retinal detachment surgeries. That was before I got into reenacting. At least I know where you're coming from!

One of the references I gave you above mentions thick lenses.

Have you ever talked with your ophthalmologist about contact lenses?
I have an appointment in March I will see what he says. Thanks

Ask about polycarbonate lenses. These have a different refractive index or something than glass, so they can be stronger without being as thick. They are also shatterproof. The only drawback is they scratch easily.

I have an appointment in March I will see what he says. Thanks

The oculist or optician (I had forgotten the alternate term, more often used now) is the person who actually makes the glasses, not the one who prescribes them (ophthalmologist or optometrist), so you shouldn't need an appointment to consult with him/her. You could also take your prescription to other firms.

I'm not a re-enactor but I would leave the radio phone in the car as @Ole Miss suggested. On period glasses all I can help with is a pair I dug in a CS camp. Other than that I would wear those and if they ain't right you will hear about it.
cwglasses-1.jpg
cwglasses.jpg

Back