Executions at Johnson's Island?

Bonny Blue Flag

1st Lieutenant
Joined
Jun 21, 2008
Location
Grand Prairie, Texas
I have found only one sentence in all the web sites, books and magazines I have looked through, that states, "Because Johnson's Island was a (major) prison camp, executions were done." I have yet to locate information regarding formal executions at this cemetery. Is there anyone who would know?

Thanks,

-BBF
 
In the book Johnson's Island-A Prison for Confederate Officers by Roger Pickenpaugh , he mentions four executions; three Kentucky civilians/guerillas (1863 &64) and one Union soldier (1863).
 
BBF,

Check the Johnston Island web site, I was able to get good information about my G. Grandfather who was incarcerated there after his capture at Peach Tree Creek.

I contacted David R. Bush, I believe he is the head archeologist doing research on the island for the University of Ohio.

JD
 
redrob, I ordered Pickenpaugh's book on Amazon today. Really looking forward to it!

ETR, the rbhayes site is exactly what I was looking for regarding executions on the island.

PiperJoe, I did read about Dr. Bush and the archaeology students working on the island, since 1989. Unfortunately 2017 is the last year for the students to help out. What a great opportunity for the students and historians!

You all are fantastic!!! Thank you all so much for your help.

-BBF
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top