Ely S. Parker

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
Very interesting article on him. Grant shows up good and then a tiny bit bad on this. But thanks to @Bee about Ely because I've never heard of him before.

www.historynet.com/ely-parker-iroquois-chief-and-union-officer.htm
Did you see this thread?

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/el...sioner-of-indian-affairs.130228/#post-1454504

It has information from a little different perspective.

You might like this thread, too

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/indian-policy.137160/#post-1608759

Last edited:

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Thank you - I should have searched! I was looking at E_just_E response about Grant making Parker an engineer at Vicksburg. Apparently, Grant really put some effort into this appointment, because on another web site, it said "He (Grant) had to slash through miles and miles of red tape" for Parker. Parker - another ripple in this ever expanding pool of the Civil War and Reconstruction.

archieclement

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Heres a slightly different version of probally the best line spoke during the war, I came across today. Parker sums it up eloquently.

Lee shook hands without a change of expression, then he was introduced to Lt Col Ely S Parker. The Virginian apparently took first notice of the Iroquois chief. His eyebrows rose as for several seconds he stared at Parkers swarthy features.

The union generals shifted uneasily, one thought Lee thought Grant was trying to deliberately humiliate him with a negro, another feared the aristocratic southerner, an old indian fighter, was insulted by the presence of a member of a savage race. Neither surmise was true.

The truth was a reaffirmation of the humility of two great men and a fundamental principle of our nation.

Robert E Lee graciously extended his hand "I am glad to see one real American here" he said.

"General Lee" said Parker softly "we are all Americans"

From an old book from 1960 called "Two Flags Flying"

Last edited:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)